Dive Report: Heisler Park, Laguna Beach, Columbus Day, 2016 8:00AM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shucksun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hooked up with Moe to dive HP on a rare weekday off. Surface conditions were near Lake Laguna although there was a lazy 1.5' surface swell stirring up the near shore bottom.

Out on the reef conditions were good, viz 20' with spots to 25+', the water column was hazy. No surge below 20'. There is some sargussam popping up in the shallow areas, but it seems much reduced from last year.

We traveled to the very outer fringes of the reef and traversed East along the Southern border. Healthy kelp topped reef on our left, white sand stretching all the way to Catalina on our right. The reef tops were charged with schools of Blacksmiths and Moe attracted a posse of Sheephead as we kicked along. This outer area has become my favorite part of HP, as it tends to generate that feeling of a place less traveled.

People sometimes remark to me that "...you always dive Heisler." Lately, that has been the case. It seems the more I dive it, the more terrain I uncover, so it continues to hold my fascination.

Video clip: Instagram video by J. Reeb • Oct 11, 2016 at 2:54am UTC

Divemetrics: 80min, 51' max, 58F.

cleardot.gif

J. Reeb
Dark-Thirty Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom