Dive Report GRAND CAYMAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello All
Dive report from vacation to Grand Cayman 7/22 - 7/29

DIVE OP- DON FOSTERS first 5 days
COMPUTER READINGS
WATER TEMPS ON ALL DIVES 81-84

DAY 1 7/23
DIVING SITES MAX DEPTH BOTTOM TIME
Marty's wall/Pulsson wreck 100' 40 mins
Killer Puffer 52' 55 mins

DAY 2 7/24
LITTLE TUNNELS 103' 40 mins
BONNIES ARCH 69' 58 mins
DEVILS GROTTO (shore dive) 41' 45 mins

DAY 3 7/25
WHITE STROKE CANYON 107' 39 mins
QUEENS THRONE 56' 54 mins
STINGRAY CITY 13' 55 mins

DAY 4 7/26
TRINITY CAVES 111' 41 mins
SPANISH ANCHOR 52' 56 mins
ARMCHAIR (night dive) 72' 46 mins

DAY 5 7/27
BLACKIES HOLE 111' 41mins
ARMCHAIR (daytime) 67' 57 mins

DAY 6 7/28 DIVE OP BOB SOTO's
MAINSTREET 107' 39 mins
BLACK FOREST 67' 41 mins

The diving was very good with viz 100-150 depending on the site. Seas were flat to 3'
The diving on the NORTH SIDE had much healthier reefs than the WEST SIDE but overall the diving was very good. I particularly enjoyed the night dive on ARMCHAIR followed by a daytime dive there. It was very intresting to compare my memory of the night dive to the way the reef looked in the daytime. The dive op DON FOSTER was VERY GOOD we never felt rushed and as you can see they gave us decent bottom times. They also let those with computers do their own thing only asking to watch your time. Their boats were very big and we never felt cramped for space even with as many as 14 divers onboard. GREAT DIVE MASTERS TOM , ESTABAN , GABRIEL they always briefed us on the dive site and never rush surface intervals. VERY PROFESSIONAL dive op.

DAY 6 dive op BOB SOTOS
First let me say this was a last minute decision to sneak in 2 more dive before the next days flight. This was a STEP DOWN compared to our previous 5 days diving. We had to wait cuz they forgot some of the gear at shop for folks that dove with them the day before. Much smaller boat and bottom times were stated at 30 mins computer or not. We did dive 2 very good sites and we streched their time limits so overall not too bad. However I'm very glad we choose Don Foster for most of our diving.

HOTEL TREASURE ISLAND RESORT
This is GOOD DIVE HOTEL DO NOT expect resort and be prepared to put up with some construction workers (RITZ CARLTON) that take over the lobby at night. Apprently about 40-60 of them are staying there. VERY nice grounds and pools. GOOD SNORKELING from beach with lots of marine life less than 50' offshore. Staff were helpful but not overly friendly. Resturants on site were decent at best and VERY expensive in my opinon.
Drinks were VERY EXPENSIVE. This hotel did have lots of places to eat or buy discount alcohol within walking distance. The in room refrigerator & safe were a big help.

DINNING OVERALL
We found most of the food was very good but VERY EXPENSIVE and most folks would roundup the conversion rate when you paid with cash. 1.00 us = .80 CI
I quickly learned to use the credit card and let the machine calculate the price.

OVERALL REVIEW
We did enjoy the diving and most of the people were friendly. However I don't see us ever going back with so many other places in the carribean to dive. We are going to cross this spot off our list for return diving due to HIGH COST.
Before I get all the CAYMAN FOLKS UPSET it was very nice diving just not worth the cost overall. I live in Florida and can get the same type diving except WALLS & STINGRAY CITY with just as much marine life for much less. Maybe with all the hype you read in the dive magazines it got my expectations to high.

I only have one comment as a Cayman person, and its about the credit card conversion rate.

Typical advice in international travel is to pay with your credit card to garner the best exchange rate. This good advice works in most places but not in the Cayman Islands.

If you look carefully at your charge receipts from Cayman, you will notice that the amounts on the charge slip are already in US dollars. The merchant sets the exchange rate and processes the charge amount in US dollars. VISA, Mastercard, Amex, and other credit card companies have absolutely nothing to do with setting this exchange rate.

If you were in Mexico, the amounts would be in Mexican Pesos. When you get home you would note the charges on your credit card statement have been converted by the credit card company.

In Cayman some merchants set prices in US dollars. It is best to pay them in US dollars cash, US dollars travellers cheques, or via credit cards. These merchants will invariably set an exchange rate of US$1=CI$0.84 and paying in CI cash is a disadvantage.

Most Cayman merchants set prices in CI dollars. It is best to pay them in CI cash, or via a credit or debit card issued by a Cayman bank. These merchants will invariably set an exchange rate of US$1=CI$0.80 and paying in US cash, US travellers cheques, or via a credit card issued by a foreign bank is a disadvantage.

The best way to beat the system is to bring US dollars travellers cheques and convert them for CI cash at a bank. For some reason the banks convert US cash at US$1=CI$0.80 but US travellers cheques get you US$1=CI$0.82.

And FWIW, I have absolutely no idea why things are run this way, but that's the way it is in Cayman.

Did you see any big stuff? Anything unusual?

Hi
Sounds great to me. I hope to be diving in Grand Cayman in October. First time for my wife and I. Should be finalized by this weekend.

For the Canadians on this thread ....

If you use your credit card in the Cayman Islands... The exchange rate goes CI $ to US $ to Can $ ( we get hit twice on the exchange rate ) so I have been told ...

Can anyone clarify this ?

Tim Ingersoll:
Did you see any big stuff? Anything unusual?

week of 7/18, we saw a fair number of eagle rays on the north wall, with 6 on one dive. A couple smallish reef and nurse sharks. Then we went to the east end, and of course they'd seen a hammerhead the day before ...

Bubblemaker_ontario:
For the Canadians on this thread ....

If you use your credit card in the Cayman Islands... The exchange rate goes CI $ to US $ to Can $ ( we get hit twice on the exchange rate ) so I have been told ...

Can anyone clarify this ?
Sort of.

As posted before, credit card charges are not run in CI$. Merchants set any exchange rate to convert purchase prices to US$ and run the charge in US$. The credit card company then converts from US$ to any other currency, such as Cdn$.

Damselfish:
Then we went to the east end, and of course they'd seen a hammerhead the day before ...

Doooh! (a la Homer Simpson)

Thanks for the update Cardzard
Glad the hurricanes missed.I'm planning a trip for April there might change my mind. Did you take pics of Stingray city?
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom