Dive Report for Key Largo, FL (Spiegel Grove/French Reef) 3/23/05

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pairizarry

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I drove down from Florida City in the morning for the morning trip to the Spiegel Grove & French Reef with Ocean Divers. This time my stomach was empty. It was about 75 degrees and party cloudy. We had a total of 18 divers on the boat for the trip. This time the seas were calmer and you could actually walk around on the boat.

The first site was the Spiegel Grove. During the dive briefing they constantly warned you about the current and not letting go of the rope or else you might be swept away ½ mile away. I jumped in and grabbed the rope and slowly made our way around the boat and then down the line. The vis was around 70 + feet. I saw the ship immediately during my descent. Her side was around 70 ft. We went towards the flagpole and then around her topside and back around to the anchor line. I definitely want to skip the reefs in favor of diving the Duane and Bibb wrecks, if the conditions are comparable to the Grove. There wasn’t much growth on it and also not much marine life in the area. The ascent to the surface was interesting with the current. I definitely felt my mask vibrating and could see my bubbles going sideways. This was an awesome dive and definitely must do 2 consecutive ones on it next time. (101 ft, 27 min, 73 degrees on 33% Nitrox)

We headed next to the French Reef. This reef was about the same as Molasses Reef except we didn’t see anything other than typical marine life and barracudas. There were a couple of swimthroughs and it was more enjoyable than the day before since it was calmer. (40 ft, 44 min, 74 degrees)

The SG is an interesting dive, more like a steel wall dive than a wreck dive.

thanks for telling about the grove.
that's one site i need to do the next time i hit the keys.
do you think there's always a current around her?
or is it the luck of the draw to catch her without current?
thanks again

I've been on the Grove before when there was a complete absence of current and I have been on it when it is rippin'. I guess it all depends on a role of the dice.

Thanks for the report. Makes me want to get back down there again.
Ditto on currrent. Sometimes its rippen other times nothing. Either way the SP is an awsome dive.

Here is my then 15 year old son hanging on

Great report, thanks. I am hoping to go there sometime next year also.

pairizarry:
I drove down from Florida City in the morning for the morning trip to the Spiegel Grove & French Reef with Ocean Divers. This time my stomach was empty. It was about 75 degrees and party cloudy. We had a total of 18 divers on the boat for the trip. This time the seas were calmer and you could actually walk around on the boat.

The first site was the Spiegel Grove. During the dive briefing they constantly warned you about the current and not letting go of the rope or else you might be swept away ½ mile away. I jumped in and grabbed the rope and slowly made our way around the boat and then down the line. The vis was around 70 + feet. I saw the ship immediately during my descent. Her side was around 70 ft. We went towards the flagpole and then around her topside and back around to the anchor line. I definitely want to skip the reefs in favor of diving the Duane and Bibb wrecks, if the conditions are comparable to the Grove. There wasn’t much growth on it and also not much marine life in the area. The ascent to the surface was interesting with the current. I definitely felt my mask vibrating and could see my bubbles going sideways. This was an awesome dive and definitely must do 2 consecutive ones on it next time. (101 ft, 27 min, 73 degrees on 33% Nitrox)

We headed next to the French Reef. This reef was about the same as Molasses Reef except we didn’t see anything other than typical marine life and barracudas. There were a couple of swimthroughs and it was more enjoyable than the day before since it was calmer. (40 ft, 44 min, 74 degrees)

Ahhh Yes the Spiegal Duane, Bibb and great reefs of Key Largo. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Great diving fun, no question about it. I wish I were there now not at my desk. O'well need some $$ to dive the sea.

Thanks for the report. Makes me want to go back. I dove the SG last year, and I was lucky. There was no current and the vis was excellent. You can dive this wreck numerous times and always find something new. Glad you had a good time!

All,

The Spiegel Grove is all that and then some. It will be interesting to see it in a few years with more growth on it. Next time I want to do 2 dives on her. I will be posting pictures of this dive and others on the board, hopefully sometime today.

Pedro

Back
Top Bottom