Dive Report Folly's Cove 7.16.2011

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Haven't dove Folly's in a while but decided to take the scooter and whiz through. Viz. was about 15'- 20' and water temperature @ 60 feet was about 57F. Most of the dive was about 61F. Lots of juvenile lobster about walking on the bottom, usual number of flatfish, small schools of cunner, numerous skate and one gigantic Torpedo Ray measuring 3' +feet across. I sat and looked at him for a while but decided I didn't want to risk getting a nice shock - diving solo. :shakehead:

A downside is the high number of boats which park in the area. Noisy as all get out. But then again, it was a weekend. As I usually dive off boats - wasn't accustomed to the slippery 'ankle-turner' rocks. They can be hard to negotiate while wearing full kit and lifting a scooter. Folly's is always a nice dive, and certainly was less full than the other spots which were full of swimmers, and probably divers out on cert. dives.

Cheers,

X

Nice report X.... gotta love those Torpedos....Did you see lobster walking around in full daylight?

The little guys were walking around with full abandon and during the scooter dive must have seen close to a hundred or more. I saw a few keepers sliding under the rocks as I scootered by. 100% of the fish I saw were puny - except Mr. Torpeedy! :D

Cheers,

X

I love to hear about torpedo rays! Thanks for the interesting report!

Scootering must be fun, covering so much of a site, so easily. Folly's got some mid-cove rocky areas that I have covered in the past by crossing from the west side to east side of the cove at about 60'. That route prevents the usual backtracking, but, unfortunately, it can take a long time, leaving me pretty low on air by the time I reach the 30' depths on the east side.... A scooter would be nice, since there's a lot of barren sand to cover on that track! :)

Dave C

Yea your right Dave.....Went across years ago....Barren was right....never went again

We did not get shocked either.

picture.php

picture.php

We did a couple of dives that day here's a couple more shots (hope you don't mind).

Crab Love
picture.php

Rock Gunnel
picture.php

I dove Folly Cove with two buddies on Friday 7/22 and we also saw the Torpedo Ray. It was along the wall, fairly far down and asleep in the sand. The conditions were good, calm, vis in th 20-25 foot range but temps were VERY variable. There were a number of thermoclines both feel-able and visible. Temperatures at the far side of the cove were down to 48 degrees! This wasn't at very deep points either - just 30+ feet.

Suiting up in the 100-ish degree heat was not fun but we did it as quickly as possible and got in without waiting for each other. Flooding our wetsuits on entry helped a lot to keep temps comfortable.

As always, a lot of work to dive this site, but a great place.

I was there with my daughter on Thursday and had no luck finding the Torpedo Ray. Lots of flounder though and a very enjoyable dive.

Back
Top Bottom