Dive report: Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel Island (3rd island)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Depth: 36 and 32 fsw
Bottom time: 15 and 20 minutes
Surface interval: 38 minutes
Visibility: <5'
Temperature: 81°F at surface, 70-74 at depth.
Dove on the Miss Mackenzie out of Lynnhaven Dive Center.

Got on the boat at 0700, arrived less than half an hour later. After setting anchor, our divemaster set a Carolina rig over to the island itself. Since visibility was already non-existent, my buddy and I descend along the line. We eventually pulled ourselves to the bottom, finding a few blue crabs, hermit crabs, and almost nothing else. The bottom was impossible to see and we only found it by physically hitting it. After about 15 or so minutes each time, we decided that there wasn't much fun in sitting around on the silty bottom holding a rope, so we decided to surface. Returned to the Marina about 1030.

Although the boat crew and ride were both extremely pleasant, I wouldn't recommend this site unless you want to practice in Low-vis conditions.

Most people only go there to spearfish...

What pisses me off about The VB dive scene:
There is a ton of great diving to be had here. That being said there is 1 boat that runs here(soon to be 2) and they want rediculous money to run to the good dive spots.

Thus I drive my butt to Ocean city, Hatteras, Morehead etc and dive good wrecks for much less and generally much better conditions in the water.

Depth: 36 and 32 fsw
Bottom time: 15 and 20 minutes
Surface interval: 38 minutes
Visibility: <5'
Temperature: 81°F at surface, 70-74 at depth.
Dove on the Miss Mackenzie out of Lynnhaven Dive Center.

Got on the boat at 0700, arrived less than half an hour later. After setting anchor, our divemaster set a Carolina rig over to the island itself. Since visibility was already non-existent, my buddy and I descend along the line. We eventually pulled ourselves to the bottom, finding a few blue crabs, hermit crabs, and almost nothing else. The bottom was impossible to see and we only found it by physically hitting it. After about 15 or so minutes each time, we decided that there wasn't much fun in sitting around on the silty bottom holding a rope, so we decided to surface. Returned to the Marina about 1030.

Although the boat crew and ride were both extremely pleasant, I wouldn't recommend this site unless you want to practice in Low-vis conditions.
And this is why there is only one boat based out of VB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom