dive report carmel 10/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KRL1973

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove carmel river beach this morning, vis was only 6ft shallow, opened to maybe 12ft at 50ft. depth. Vis was disappointing but speared a couple nice kelp rockfish to bring home so not a total loss. Will be diving again tonight and tomorrow morning, haven't decided where yet.

Anyone dive today and have better vis elsewhere?

thanks,
Ken L

I went out Friday at Point Lobos, and the deeper I went and the further out I went...the worse it got! Out at the tip of Beto's Reef, down 122', it was maybe 10' of visibility. In closer, along Cannery Point Wall, it was perhaps 30' - 40'. Go figure. Today I was out at South Monastery, and never saw better than about 10'. I talked with some people who went to Mono-Lobo...same report. And down in the trench at North Monastery, it was less than 10'.

OTOH, I walked with some guys who went to Breakwater today and they said it was right nice...for BW.

Today @ BW was pretty thick
Morning thick layer with about 12' vis on the bottom @ 30ft but dark.
By the afternoon it got worse - probably 5ft vis.
40' was our max.

We dove Lobos Thursday and had 40' vis. Could see the sand channel before we dropped down. Never went past Cannery Pt. Wall though. Second dive at Middle Reed was only about 20' of vis.

Saturday we dove the North Coast at Gerstle Cove and had 20+ vis most of the time. We scootered way out to 100' and vis changed from 5' up to about 25'. Awesome dive filled with a wide variety fish and tons of pinnacles covered in medtridiums and life. The water was glassy on the surface due to almost no wind. The sun never came out, so it made for a perfect day of diving.

Thank goodness for bright flashlights!

Did three dives Saturday. First dive on Jawdropper from our boat in Carmel. Near zero vis and totally dark. Called the dive and went back to Monterey, saw the Express on Strawberry Hill. I wondered how their vis was. We dropped the hook on Outer Chase. Vis was about 15 - 20 at 85'. Murky though. Third dive was Anchors 2 & 3 on the shale. Also 85' vis was about the same too at 15 -20. We enjoyed the dives anyway.

Back
Top Bottom