Dive Report - Bowen Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I couldn't find ANY info about the sites on Bowen online so here's my contribution:

I took Monday off to head over to Bowen island with a buddy. We dove Smuggler's Cove and then Seymour Bay following descriptions in the "80 Dives" book which, as it turns out are horribly inaccurate. On both dives we got killed on our NDLs while we were searching for the actual sites.

Smuggler's Cove.
We got to the site and found a cul-de-sac and a long (200-300M) grass road/path down to the water which was blocked by a metal gate and "no trespassing" signs. The signs appeared to be of the Canadian Tire variety with no indication of the governing body who put them there or enforces anything. After very little deliberation by my double-130 diving buddy, we decided to open the gate (it wasn't locked) and drive down the path where we parked 20' from the water.
Entry was fairly easy, just some medium sized rocks and logs to walk over. The ACTUAL dive is along the outside wall which makes up the little cove, heading west. It's a seemingly bottomless wall (we made it to 117' with lots more room below) with the usual sponges and their inhabitants. We saw a warbonnet, golfball crabs, a big grunt sculpin, lots of lions mane jellies, and a ton of rockfish and lingcod. The highlight for me was 2 schools of baby quillback rockfish - very cute. Overall, it was a very good dive, but nothing spectacular.

Seymour Bay.
30 minutes dive away, this site is in the middle of a construction zone on a very nice stretch of beach. This is the most beautiful dive I've done to date.
The dive here is located on the far side (north east) of the "islet" which is on the right hand side of the bay. Again, this is a bottomless wall with very interesting topography. At depth (100ish feet) the rock is covered in feather stars, tons of em! Again lots of lions manes, anenomes, etc. The real pleasure of this site resides at about 30' where the rock is literally saturated with every kind of starfish you can image, schools of perch, rockfish and those black guys with the yellow tails (still can't figure out what they are). HUGE individual strands of kelp fly like flags in the middle of all this. I felt like saluting them, it was THAT impressive looking. We also saw a great sculpin (a first for me) and lots of little red flabellina nudis.

Definitely worth the $46 ferry ride.

Scott, put the roof on hold and get yourself an u/w camera so I can live vicariously through your dives. :D

Thanks for sharing.

Todd.

When we went to smugglers cove a couple years ago the gate was locked and we had to walk down. I don't remember it being that far though.

Did you also see the Radar mast in ~20' of water near the entrance to the dive? Someone had a very expensive accident there. I wonder if their is a boat that goes with the mast at the bottom of the wall somewhere?

I'd dive at Smugglers Cove occasionally if I didn't need to pay for the ferry. Seymour sounds like it's worth a visit one day.

I didn't see a radar mast, although there was a ridiculously long log/wooden pole in the water, maybe that was it?

Were the "no trespassing" signs up when you were there? Any idea if they are legit?

The radar mast is not particularly long, made of metal, and obviously a radar mast because the radar is still attached.

There was a no trespassing sign when we were there. Looking at the layout of the land, that area is almost certainly private property and can legitimately be closed by the land owner. When we got there I was initially unsure if we should dive there, eventually we did. I suspect the sign is there primarily to protect the property owner from legal liability, and keep out partiers (we saw some burnt logs and beer cans strewn around). My current attitude is that if we don't disturb anybody and don't leave a mess it shouldn't be a problem. If the property owner actually showed up and was upset, the only thing to do would be apologize, leave and not return.

That said my dives there were only OK, and I don't intend to go to the trouble of accessing the site again.

Hey Anyone and every one!
I am in BC for a couple of months and was hoping to get some dives in!
I am a recreational diver with almost 100 dives (hoping to get my #100 this year) and would love to get in the water shore style etc. Just need people to go with! If any one is around and going on a dive, I'd love to go with you. I'm in School Monday- Friday but have evenings and weekends off!
Let me know!
you can reach me at kristielmckay@yahoo.com
Thanks
Kristie

Back
Top Bottom