Dive report: Alabama point jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amadus98

Contributor
Reaction score
High tide was reported to be around 9:20ish am. I hit the parking spot on Gulf Rd. by 915. I did a quick survey of the water and the jetties and the seawall. I hadent made up my mind where i wanted to dive yet ,but after a quick look around i chose the jettie side. The surf was higher from last week so i thought id stay away from the wallside. Back to the car to rig up. 9:25 i hit the sand fully rigged and ready to rock and roll. On the way I decieded to walk to the end of the Jetties and enter on the west side of the point and swim out and around the point back to where the Jetties and seawall meet. There were some fishermen on the point so i made sure i gave them a wide birth. H2o was a chilly 82 degrees F and the vis was a whopping 8-10 feet. Much worse than a week 1/2 ago. The Surge was very active today aslo but that might be due to the location seeing how i have never been on that side of the Jettie. After i rounded the point the viz cleared up to an astonishing 11 feet, so my day is getting better alreaddy. I also noticed the tide was still coming in so my Jettiie dive soon turned into a drift dive. With no effort in making my way back I came across lots of sealife. It must of been 99 cent fish fry day cuz the crabs were out in force. Ive never come across soo many crabs out in the open in one spot before. I counted 27 yes 27 crabs the entire dive. Next on the list was a xlg pepperoni pizza size jelllie fish.!! A few feet down the way i snuck up on a ray it scared the begeaus out of me.!!! I would have spotted it earlier at 12 feet away but i was limited to only 11 feet of viz.. before I knew it i was hitting the shallow sand which was a sign that i had reached the end of my dive. All in all it was ok, I reeled in my line to the dive flag unbuckeled my fins and made my way out of the water and up the beach back to the truck. Stowed gear dried off and headed to tacky jacks for a hambuger. Made my way by Garys Gulf Divers to see what other gear i convinced myself to buy , then loaded up the truck and headed back home.. I ended the day with a 78 min dive and a max depth of 29feet in 82 degree water with 8-11 feet of viz oh and i cant forget a big ol smile cuz i was able to dive again. TTTTThats all folks.
Andreas

Hey amadus,
Next time you are thinking about hitting that area put a post out. I would have been more than happy to of buddied up with you.

Nice report. Thanks for posting.

Great report, sounds like a fun dive! :D

The pizza sized jelly was likely a moon jelly.

What kind of crabs did you see? Blue? Stone?

Sweet! The Blues are back!

Back
Top Bottom