Dive Report 7-10-15 Fort Wetherill Jamestown

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2047 7-10-15 Fort Wetherill Jamestown: A beautiful summer morning, clear, warm, sunny, no wind, water was dead calm no rollers no chop. Buddy on this dive was Charlie who drove from Boston to dive with me at FTW. We entered at the boat ramp in Sandy Bottom Cove. Surface swam about 100yds. The surface water temp was 69F. I anchored the flag and float for retrieval after the dive. We submerged @10:10AM and swam south towards the outer point maintaining a depth of 20fsw. Visibility was 10-15’ with particles suspended in the water, not bad for FTW and again the tide was low slack. When we cleared the cut out between the mainland and the outer point we started a slow descent to a max of 80fsw temp there was 61F. At that point it turned into a drift dive with the current (current at slack?) taking us south, outgoing, which is what to expect on this dive, no current, reverse current and correct current that is going in the direction of the tide change all during the same dive. As we rounded the point we had to fight the current for a short distance and then slack again; after a couple of more minutes at depth we began a slow ascent which if we did correctly would bring us right to the cutout, which it did; about halfway thru I found a rock a few feet from the surface and came up to have a look, right on target. I submerged and we continued NE along the route we had started again maintaining a depth of 20FSW. We over shot the flag and had to retrieve it. A very good dive over all lots of cunners no big fish, one very aggressive spider crab that almost grabbed my harness on a jump! Bottom time 53 min, max depth 80FSW 2800 psi of 21% total time 1hour 5mintues.

Dove there about 5 years ago one chilly March morning. Some jackwad sat off a ways and watched us walk into the water, then drove over and busted in the rear window of my pals wagon and the passenger side window of my truck. I don't remember if John lost anything to this POS but he stole my leather jacket that I had left on the front seat. I had to drive home in March with no window and no jacket.

Oddly enough, I've never been back to Fort Wetherill.

There was a rash of car breaks back then. I haven't heard anything of the sort recently. It is a lonely place in March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom