Dive profile risks with noodling/grabbling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_redneck

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Dr. Deco, I was curious about how the "yo-yo" dive profile would effect a diver when he is noodling/grabbling in a minimum of 5-6 ffw minimum depth and a maximum depth of 10-15 ffw on scuba with approximately 2-3 at minimum and 5-6 minutes maximum time at depth. I have heard that the "yo-yo" profiles are not recommended, however some insight as to why and how to stay safe while doing it would be greatly appreciated.

PS. Noodling/Grabbling is the act of diving down, sticking your hand in spmething dark and hollow, allowing (hopefully only) a catfish to bite down on your arm, and hauling him to the surface for fish sticks later on that night.

PPS. If anyone knows of any good full arm or half arm kevlar gloves, please point me in their general direction. They would be great to have along on this adventure. I am currently using welding gloves however they are getting old quickly.

YouTube - Catfish Noodling

Hi scuba_redneck,

At these depths and times, this activity, in and of itself, could not possibly precipite an event of DCS.

Of course, as with any SCUBA, don't hold your breath.

Have fun..

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank you very much DocVikingo!

Hello scuba_redneck:

As Dr V. says, these are trivial depth changes. :cool2:

The yo-yo dives which deserve consideration are those down to at least 50 fsw and then to the surface and repeating. The fear was the production of small bubbles that are enlarged repeatedly. As far as I know, professional divers [e.g. goeduck divers] perform such dives without problems. However, some might be injured and disappear from the scene.

In your case, not to worry.:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom