dive parka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a volunteer diver at the NJ Aquarium. We lost the roof over the tank due to Isabel, and we are now 100% exposed to the elements. They do not expect a new roof for months. I need a dive parka asap, but I am not sure what to buy. Any one have a suggestion? We are not allowed to dive dry, so it will be COLD!!!!

Yesterday was chilly enough, with pouring rain and air temps of 60.

I am talkin' about getting out of 65 degree water and standing around in a 5 mil about 8 hours a day when air temps are in the 40s or worse...

Ken

No idea how well this would work, but my kids have parkas for their swim team. Fleece-like on the lining, wind-breaker nylon on the shell. Very long -- down to about the knee. If you're going to have the 5mm on underneath, this would take out the wind factor and the evaporative cooling. Don't know where to look in NJ, but local YMCA or other pool with a competitive swim team could point you in the right direction.

-Rob

We are not allowed to dive dry, so it will be COLD!!!!

Okay... gotta ask... why are you not allowed to dive in your drysuit?

Inquiring minds have to know,

Good question, and one I asked Monday...their answer made sense....

We are qualified as commercial divers as far as OSHA and another academic dive org is concerned (AUAS? I cannot rmember the acronym)

Every piece of equipment that goes in the tank has to be certified as acceptable both from a safety point of view and as sterile for the environment-so we use all their gear. There is a lengthy process to go through to use any of your own stuff.

Every diver would have to both provide proof of certification in the use of a dry suit, AND do a pool test.

There are about 90 divers...therefore, it is impractical.

Oh-a final note-only some of us even have/use dry suits, so they are concerned about resentment etc.

Ken

Every piece of equipment that goes in the tank has to be certified as acceptable both from a safety point of view and as sterile for the environment-so we use all their gear. There is a lengthy process to go through to use any of your own stuff

Make sense. When we did the dive @ Epcot the only thing they let us use was our own mask & snorkel because of fears of contamination.

Oh-a final note-only some of us even have/use dry suits, so they are concerned about resentment etc.

Now THAT one is illogical. If that were the case then NO ONE would be able to wear their drysuit if anyone else in their group was diving wet. Heck, if I had a dollar for every time THAT happened, I'd have quite a bit of cash by now. As far as I'm concerned if you've gone through the time, effort, training, and money to be a drysuit diver, then it's your right to use it. :wink:

BTW, if you are a PADI dive pro you can get a pretty decent dive parka through them. Mine is about 10 years old & still going strong.

Stay warm,

And got a parka for $69...those guys REALLY know their stuff. We'll see how it works out. Off to Dutch Springs today to break in my new Andy's drysuit...

Ken

kwesler once bubbled...
... We are not allowed to dive dry, so it will be COLD!!!!
.... I am talkin' about getting out of 65 degree water and standing around in a 5 mil about 8 hours a day when air temps are in the 40s or worse...
Yeah, I'm sure OSHA will condone hypothermia ...
Maybe you volunteers ought to get together and demand a warm place be set up for the times between dives. Tent, heater, that sort of thing.
I admire your spirit, though.

Enclosed a picture from the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach. The two divers cleaning the aquarium not only wear drysuits, but use Prism CCRs to supply the gas. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom