Dive Optix/Stick on lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chivas

Contributor
Reaction score
I have read some of the reviews and think that the Dive Optix Stick on Lens may get the job done for me, can't quickly read my computer at depth. Do they stay on?? Can I glue them on?? Better ideas are welcome. Thanks

Chivas:
I have read some of the reviews and think that the Dive Optix Stick on Lens may get the job done for me, can't quickly read my computer at depth. Do they stay on?? Can I glue them on?? Better ideas are welcome. Thanks

They attach like those static-cling window decals.

The advantages are:
  • work great
  • attach easily
  • If you bought the wrong one, it doesn't take an act of congress to get a different correction
The disadvantages are:
  • Expensive (almost $40 for two little pieces of plastic)
  • Can wash out of your mask during rinsing,
  • Tend to fall off if you dive with any water in your mask
The disadvantages may not be show-stopper compared to the advantages.

Terry

Washing off during rinsing aa flooded mask doesn't doesn't get me too excited about floating $15 bills in the ocean. Once you have decided where they fit the best can you glue them on??

Chivas:
Washing off during rinsing aa flooded mask doesn't doesn't get me too excited about floating $15 bills in the ocean. Once you have decided where they fit the best can you glue them on??

You could probably glue them on with something, but I have no idea what (maybe superglue?)

Terry

I've used them for several years...in fact I have one mask that has the same stickies for at least three years. None of mine have ever washed out...on a dive...during a rinse...or after soaking in the tub for days and I probably have half a dozen masks with these things inside.

It is a matter of following the directions to the letter during application. Make sure the mask lense is squeeky clean. Don't use a soap with any oils or fragrances. Most importantly, after you have placed them where you want them be sure to let it dry for several days before using your mask.

Downsides to these as I see it...

1.Getting them placed just where you want them can be a bit trying on your nerves. It can take many attempts to get em spot on.

2.Sometimes it seems that they are spotty with respect to fogging. Even after using no fog SOMETIMES some spots on the lenses won't stay clear. Clearing the mask helps but just for a second. But most of the time this isn't an issue. (In fact, now that I think about it, it only happens on the ones that have been in forever...I probably should change em out. Besides they've been in so long they're starting to yellow.)

3.The upper edge of the lenses tend to hold a little bead of water that can be a little distracting.

All in all they work pretty well and are well worth using. I certainly wouldn't worry about them washing out, though.

There are some other options of course...

http://www.seavisionusa.com/

and

http://www.prescriptiondivemasks.com/

I use them. Once they are stuck on they do not fall off. At least mine haven't after 8-10 dives.

Once you get them stuck on properly, they stay put.

An alternative is to get some of those $5 walmart plastic reading glasses. Cut out one of the lenses to whatever shape you want, and glue it in your mask with thick superglue. It just takes a tiny drop on the edges in 3-4 places! Practice on a small piece of scrap window glass. Don't try thin superglue. If you mess up, just peel everything off with a single-edge razor blade (don't cut the skirt.) Give the thick glue plenty of time to set. It's not going to set up fast used this way.

I use one in my left lens for reading my computer, although I may remove it because I now wear contacts. As people have said, if you're really careful about following the instructions they should stay put. Using one gives you a spare, which I never used because mine never fell out. I've heard that there are similar products for reading that you can get at a drugstore that are much cheaper, but I've never used those.

If your vision is bad enough that it could be dangerous (not being able to read depth at all, for example) then you probably should go the expensive prescription route, but I'm sure you've thought of that. Actually, come to think of it, I saw a mask at a dive shop not too long ago that had standard optical reading "cheaters" (just like the optix) built into the lenses. It was not very expensive, like $50-$60 or so. That might be a great solution.

bgi:
Once you get them stuck on properly, they stay put.

Well, I have used them too for many long trips. My experience was not as good. On several trips they released after several dives. It takes a couple of days for them to dry after reattaching putting the mask out of commission. I just got tired of this happening and finally coughed up the money for real lenses from Prescription Dive Masks. I do not regret it at all. For 99.00 I got real lenses that I do not have to worry about. They also let me tell them how big (I wanted BIG to see my camera controls) and where I wanted them. Definitely worth every penny. I carry the old stick-ons just in case.........

If they don't stay put, yea, that would be a big problem! Mine didn't give me trouble coming off. I just got tired of having them interfere with my field of view. So I took the right one off. I use the left one to glance at guages and have the other one as a spare.

Back
Top Bottom