dive optics / stick on lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jan

Reaction score
Hey all, can anybody recomened any online dealer or dive shop that sells dive optics or stick on lenses
thank you

I've seen them at the Osco drug store for much cheaper than they sell in dive shops.

Originally posted by jan
Hey all, can anybody recomened any online dealer or dive shop that sells dive optics or stick on lenses
thank you

Be sure you get lenses with flat outside faces and glue them into your mask. Otherwise, you'll find yourself with 6 surfaces to keep clean instead of 2.

Most dive shops know the name of a local optician who will order lenses ground to your prescription and glue them into a mask you provide. If you need bifocals or have significant astigmatism, it and contacts are the only ways to go. There are mail order opticians who will do it at a reasonable price - probably still less than $100.

So, has anybody got any horror stories or kudos for these items? Reason is, I have a pair and have heard nothing but horror stories of them coming off while clearing a mask or rinsing same. I have only talked to one person who states that she has had no problems with them.

I'm just wondering if it's worth the time to install them. I only need them to see the instruments at a glance instead of concentrating for several seconds. I don't want to go to the expense of having my prescription ground for my mask. Believe me, up here, it's an expense.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by earlj
So, has anybody got any horror stories or kudos for these items?
Hi Earl,
Yes I have had them come off and I have had them stay on too... I would really like to know if there is a cement that is safe to use with them for semi-permanent placement.

BTW I bought mine from LeisurePro...

I need a +3 or +4 to read, and normally wear a vari-focal. I tried the vacuum type plastic stick-on lenses, the first time I lost them, was in a soak tub, fortunatly I recovered them, the second time some one took my mask off on a rescue practice in the sea, that was £35 lost I don't think I had them three months;-0 I have a mask with bi-focal lenses cemented in, I find they are set to low in the mask to be much use, and struggle to use them to read instruments. I have seen masks with separate angled down bottom lenses, I heard the bottom lens is normaly partialy covered with water so its not very good.
As I have been unable so far find satisfaction using lenses, I have been looking for the alternative of large bold print numerals on gauges.
I have got an apex pressure gauge, its okay, I can read it without problem, though I sometimes struggle to read a buddy's. I am on the look out for a compass with real big numerals, I have got a couple of suunto's compasse's, they are not legible enough, I can preset the bezel and read the lubber line, but not the bearing numerals. The main reason I didn't buy a Suunto computor was I couldn't read the numerals.
:D

I got my stick on lenses from Divers Direct. (DiveOptx Magnifiers)

18 dives and no problem.

budgy,

My LDS got me bifocals in my mask and the bifocals appear to be ground in.

The reading lens isn't at the dead bottom. It's about 10-12 mm from the bottom. Not buried under water.

I hear some opticians will also fit lenses (not the stick on stuff).

Ask around locally.

To re-ask Uncle Pug's question. Does anybody know of any way to permanently affix these dive optix lenses?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom