Dive Ops in Puerto Morelos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

I will be staying in a resort close to Puerto Morelos the first week of January and was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the dive operators in the area.

Anyone else planning to be in the area? My wife and I are staying at the Sensatori Azul.

Also, if you have any particular dive sites the you would recommend, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Doug Kelly

(looking forward to leaving the -30c temperatures!!!:shocked2:)

I stayed at H10 Coral a couple of weeks ago. I dove with Dive It! for a couple of dives as they were based out of my resort and the boat came to pick me up there. Offsite diving was with Ben Mooney with Scorpio Divers (aka MAD) and between him and Jorge took me to sites around Puerto Morelos and Cozumel.

The "Gardens" off of Puerto Morelos is a nice dive 50-60ft, 70ft vis, 82F. Lots of life there including Souther stingrays, a Green moray, porcupine fish and we even found two lion fish, but couldn't catch them.

The C-56 is the sister ship to the C-58 in Cancun and the wreck in Cozumel. The difference is that the wreck is in really good condition, upright, with it's deck gun still intact in 90ft, 100ft vis, 80F. Three levels to penetrate with a permanent line run throughout (although, not required as there is little slit and lots of openings). Saw 3-4 spotted rays in formation over the bow, 2-3 Southern rays in the sand below and a barracuda eyeing me through one of the opening.

Contact Ben for custom trips, low diver counts and he even gave me a discount as you'll already be in Puerto Morelos.

Last edited:
Don't dive with Wet Set! Dived with them in July. My husband and I prepaid for ceynote dives and ended up going out on regular dives (lower price) to accomodate owner of Wet Set. At the end of the day he refused to refund our money ($60). We asked for at least a couple t-shirts and he agreed. We waited and waited - no t-shirts. Several months and emails later he sent us a cut-up t-shirt. This guy could care less about keeping his customers happy and coming back. On the wreck dive he was certifying someone and did not have a divemaster for the other 10+ divers.

Puerto Morelos is a great quiet town - enjoy your trkip.

Well, that's one vote "for" and one "against"...

Hi! Since this is my first post here, and I'm the NEW owner of the aforementioned Dive Op, I figured I'd ressurrect this not too old post and defend my spot (so to speak).

First of all, yes, that sure sounds like the previous owner of the shop's M.O. He's pretty good about not giving refunds. I can definitely see that not happening if you used the Tank Bank. I've got some problems with the last part, though... One problem is I don't see how there could be 10 divers with him when the boat only holds 8 people. The other is if the other 10 divers are certified, why would they need a DM? I'm willing to bet a lot of the other divers were some of his regular customers, who are very good experienced divers and already knew there way around the site. The group I'm thinking of just came in November, and believe me, They guide You.

OK, a little bit about me: Like I said, I'm the new owner. I just took over the op in late September. I just retired from the USAF after 22 years of service and choose this as a retirement plan because it's nice to deal with happy relaxed people after the previous 22 years. If you haven't figured it out, I'm fairly relaxed and easy going myself... Until you do something unsafe on one of my dives. Even then, I still just fix the problem and move on.

Anyway, feel free to come on out and visit! Pto Morelos is an eclectic, quiet little town. More importantly though, the diving here is excellent!

Dave:

Glad to hear Wet Set has a new owner. Good luck to you and thanks for the update. No more negative posts from me.

FYI: there were 10+ divers because Paul took 16 divers out on both boats - his DM quit on him. That was the reason we accomodated him on ceynote dives and just took regular dives which we were not reimbursed the price difference because we prepaid thru Tank Bank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom