Dive Ops in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beachlawyer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I an AOW diver who will be in No Cal Sept 19-27. I will be doing the Lake Berryessa Cleanup Dive on 9/20 and I was going to drive down to Monterey and wanted to get a day of diving in. Any recc for dive shops in Monterey? I would need to pay a DM to be my buddy b/c I have never been shore diving before. I have been diving in Cozumel, Key Largo, Wilmington, NC, and local quarries and lakes in NC, so low viz, chilly water, are ok. Just want someone to guide me with shorediving and the kelp....Any suggestions? Roger at Napa Dive & Sport did my OW cert, but he will be out of town that week. :(

You've got a pretty good selection of shops in the area:

Bamboo Reef
Aquarius on Del Monte
Glenn's Aquarius II on the Breakwater
Monterey bay Dive Company

Instead of paying a DM, why not post and see if some of the numerous local divers on this board will buddy with you? We're typically a friendly bunch and love meeting new divers. I've got plans for 9/20, but I'm sure you won't have any trouble getting a shore-dive group together for a Saturday!

Why that sounds like an excellent idea, I will do just that!

Hey, Beachlawyer.

Welcome to NorCal.

Tell us more about this Lake Berryessa cleanup.

Contact Roger at Napa Dive & Sport in Napa (sorry, I don't have phone number handy). He is coordinating the cleanup and BBQ at the Lake on the 20th. Hope to see you there!

Beachlawyer,

You should consider a boat dive as you can always find a buddy or a another pair to join. Not to mention the dive sites are better and you wont be cleaning sand out of your gear for a month.

I did the Berryessa clean-up a few years ago. It is focused on the Pope Creek bridge area were all the boat raft up in the summer and people dive/jump off of a big rock. I came out of it with a couple of decent anchors complete with chain and rode. (some one too drunk to tie off the other end) There is no shortage of beer cans & bottles (a lot of them unopened) and it's always interesting to see what a bunch drunk people over the summer thought it would be a good idea to bring out on there boat. BBQ follows and Roger used to have a raffle/prize giveaway for voluteers. Don't know if he's still doing that.

...and if you think I'm being harsh on the drunks, you obviously haven't been there on a summer weekend.

I came out of it with a couple of decent anchors complete with chain and rode. (some one too drunk to tie off the other end).

That "other" end is called the bitter end. Why? Because if you don't tie it off, you'll
be bitter.

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom