Dive operators in Seattle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My gf and I are moving her kid to Seattle in August to attend commercial diving school.. Thought it would be nice for all of us to go diving before we drop him off.

We would really like to see all the different bright anemones or anything else we don’t get to see in Alabama
We all have 5 and 7 mil suits if needed. Dive in 63 degree water in winter down here.

Looking for reputable group. Boat or shore dive is fine

What do you need when you mention reputable group? Plenty of shore diving in the area, and more than a few shops host dives if that suits your needs.

Everyone I've dived with in Seattle were in drysuits. The average surface temps in August can reach the mid 50s, but it will be colder below the surface.

My gf and I are moving her kid to Seattle in August to attend commercial diving school.. Thought it would be nice for all of us to go diving before we drop him off.

We would really like to see all the different bright anemones or anything else we don’t get to see in Alabama
We all have 5 and 7 mil suits if needed. Dive in 63 degree water in winter down here.

Looking for reputable group. Boat or shore dive is fine

Current water temp is 47 degrees in the greater Seattle area. Minimum you'll need for a wetsuit in our water is generally a two piece farmer john 7mm, or 7/8mm semi dry, the single 5 or 7mm just won't cut it. Drysuits are by far the most popular.

All of the dive boats pretty much only operate out of Tacoma or Hood Canal, as said there's plenty of shore diving, as well as shops hosting fun dives.

Seattle Dive Tours will provide all the gear and meet at our Alki Cove 2 on the weekends. If you're up for a bit of a drive YSS (YSS) in Hoodsport could provide gear for either shore or boat diving in Hood Canal.

Current water temps are running around 46F, but by August they could be as high as 52 at depth, and we don't tend to get big thermoclines in the sound. One thing to be aware of is our summertime plankton/ algae blooms. Once temps come up, our water clarity becomes "craptastic", with viz running 5-8', if that, and it can be dark by 50-70' This all tends to clear up around October when we're back to the 15-20 viz through the winter.

But if you're lucky, we have some really awesome critters here!

Hate to be a "me too" guy (I don't), but the folks at YSS are fantastic. Sund Rock Sund Rock is fun - nice drive and plenty to poke around in.

A lot of shops host free fun dives. If you have dates, I might be able to scout out possible sites.

Barring that, if you're open to shore diving most shops can find you a DM for $50 a dive or so. (For one person; I don't think they'd double it for 2 but don't know for sure.)

Or ask in one of the Facebook groups (or here) and see if anybody would be willing to dive with you on a site they're familiar with.

On suits: You absolutely will want to leave the 5 mm suits at home, unless you can wear them under the 7mm suit. You're going to need 7 mm with a double layer on the torso. Depending on where you're diving in the area, by

August temps will be in the 52-55 deg. F range. So 11-13 deg. C. This summer is not setting up for warmth, so likely toward the low end of that range.

I dove for decades around here in just a wetsuit. Don't believe the "you can't dive here except in a dry suit." Several things switched me over to diving dry:

1. I'm now older and can afford to buy suits I couldn't in college and grad school.

2. I'm now older and get cold easily. And have a lower tolerance for discomfort just to prove I'm tough.

3. The culture has shifted toward doing multiple dives the same day. That's where dry suits really come into their own. It's that 4th dive of the day in January that you realize wetsuits aren't just uncomfortable, they're dangerous. I suspect the culture shifted due to increasing wealth in the area. Now a lot more folks can buy dry suits and figure if they're going to invest their time in start up/clean up for a dive they might as well do 2-3.

4. Dry suits have gotten more reliable. I almost shifted to dry 10 years in to my diving career. The one I bought had a catastrophic neck seal disattachment from the suit. I gave up on dry suits for another 10 years.

Now that the Makah reservation is open to outsiders, I would contact Bill Minton of NorthWest Dive Charters to see if he's going to bring his boat out to Neah Bay in the summer. My favorite dive site in Washington state is Waddah Fingers. Huge area full with different life and so much color. Hands down the best.

pnwdiving.com is a great resource.

I do need to update this doc: Kosta's Dive Documents – Google Drive to add YSS.

Marker Buoy Dive Club (Marker Buoy Dive Club – Copyright Digital Cupcakes) is the most active group, might be worth joining the club for a $35 fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom