Dive Operators in La Paz, Cabo, and Mazatlan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My New Year's Carnival cruise just changed the itinerary and dates, and so I have to start over in picking dive operators. It looks like now we have two days in Cabo San Lucas, and one each in La Paz and Mazatlan. I sure would appreciate some suggestions for dive operators to contact in those places.

I'm hoping to get a night dive in Cabo, also, in addition to as many daytime dives as I can get in. :crafty:

See my post here for details of my trip. I stayed for a week and dove with several operators. I saw ray squadrons on almost every dive. The dive sites are quite close to each other but all offer plenty of wildlife. I did night dives there but they were not quite as good as the daytime dives.

I just did my open water in Cabo 2 weeks ago. I did it with Traun Lynch who does it through Tio Sports. Traun is great, transplant from Tansmania. You can reach him through hes website caboticket.com, or I believe his email is info@caboticket, if not, than go to his website. He just came back from Cancun where he is working on his cert for course director.

Hi Laurie
I wrote a report a while back form our trip in March to La Paz, I would avoid Baja aventuras personally after having not a great experience with them. From what we saw whilst we were there Club cantamar operate a top service. I would reccomend however as there are several dive operators there to go and see them in person and see the boats that they use. Then make your decision. Have a lovely trip!

Hello Divers,I have been Diving Cabo for years and dove with all the shops there.Some good some bad the problem is that the employees change employers like I change my shoes.
So you dont know what to expect as far as service or Dive Masters.
So for the last 5 or so years I have been Diving with Baja Dive they have been there for about 14 years.I always get the same great service and see the same great Crew when I arrive.I was just threre and I saw all brand new gear being unboxed.I Bring my own gear but its nice to know that all the Divers will have good equiptment so as not to spoil my Dives bucause of faulty gear.
The small groups, great crew,and a easy to find Shop makes for a all around great Dive.
They are located in the Tesoro Los Cabos Resort on the Marina Boardwalk in Downtown Cabo just across from the new construction of the new shopping center being built. www.scubadivingcabosanlucas.net or email cooldiver2@yahoo.com P.S.Night diving at Peligan Rock is great.

hi laurie, you have 2 days in cabo? does the boat stay overnight or is it first port then last port? night diving is very good here in cabo., plenty of life, the water should be fresh by now, but the currents are a bit slow to change so the current temps are very comfortable, lands end has a stiff current now, heading out of the bay, but this is bring loads of food up for the micro guys, then this in turn, brings in the bigger guys..
.. hi treeguy, been diving lately?... heading to playa soon?... try scuba playa, right behind starbucks at 5th and 10th.
.. and all the tours are done privately at no extra cost.

We're staying two nights, unfortunately I have found out that because it's a tender port, I have to be back on the ship by 6 pm. If I take the chance of staying on shore and weather comes up so that the tenders can't run, I'll miss the ship. So, no night dives, bummer.

I did get hooked up with Manta Dive in Cabo, Club Cantamar in La Paz, and Mazatlan tours for diving. The other problem is that I'll be in Cabo on December 31-January 1st. Manta Dive said they probably won't be diving on New Year's Day, so I found a cool zip line tour to take instead that day.

I was in La Paz two weeks ago and In my experience there isn't that much diving going on there. I managed to get some dives with Cantamar after first going to Carey and Baja Aventuras. At Carey they informed me I had to wait until they have at least 4 people to go out and Baja Aventuras I visited at 3 different times of the day on a Tuesday and called the number twice but no answer. I think they are out of business, because they lady of the car rental next door said she almost never sees anybody there and the shop looks like it's never gets used anymore.

Club Cantamar was an ok diveshop, nice boats, diving was good, viz not that great, but the sea lions are awesome. I drove down to Cabo Pulmo though and got some better dives in. I believe if you do want to get the best dives in the Sea of Cortez go to Cabo Pulmo or Cabo San Lucas. The diveshops are more organized and truly want to make money by actually getting people to dive.

Back
Top Bottom