Dive operators in Khao Lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc1954

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Will be in Khao Lak in Jan /15, looking for a dive operation to do a couple of day trips with, any ideas or suggestions would be great. Would like to do one day in the Similans, one day Richelieu Rock, and one day Koh Bon/Tachai. Thanks in advance.

You can find a list of dive centers in the Khao Lak area by searching www.padi.com and www.divessi.com. Most operators are good, but more importantly is it, that you get a great dive guide who know the area in and out and who dive within all safety limits (so easy to go deep in this area).

As I have a dive center in Khao Lak I am a bit biased recommending any specific operator, but you are welcome to PM for more information'. The three days of diving sounds like a really good choice with a chance to see either manata rays and/or whale sharks. Enjoy it :)

I've done Similans in 2013 and 2014. 2013, it was a better dive, water was nicer, more marine creatures in Richelieu Rocks, 2014, half of the creatures disappeared. Over dive??

In 2013, I did my dive with Similan Seven Sea Club, my guide was a Thai, name Wichay or something.
In 2014, with Khao Lak Scuba Adventures, Ricardo (Spanish dude) was my guide.

Both guides were great chaps. Enjoyed my time with them. Good and responsible.

I witnessed another guide from another boat, not sure which operator, which pissed me! The guide actually used his dagger to 'stabbed' under the rocks just to get a mantis shrimp out of hiding. How irresponsible! We enjoy our dives, not at the expense of other lives. Agree?

For day trips I would go for IQ, Seadragon and Big Blue (the latter for the Richelieu Rock trip)...

Just my opinion but 2013-14 Season was better than the previous for sightings of the big stuff like manta rays and whale sharks. I was told by reliable sources that it was probably the best season for these big things in the past few years.

Here's hoping for another good season...Good luck :)

If you have 3 days to dive, you might want to consider one of the short 3-day live-aboard options offered by several of the dive centers such as Sea Dragon. You get more dives and don't have to keep travelling back and forth to Khao Lak.

Another option would be to stay in one of the tents or rooms for at least non night. The islands are beautiful after the many day boats have left. W.dived on a couple of occasions with Similan Diving Safaris who are excellent. However a liveaboard would be far far Better , most are for 4 nights , but you will get more and better diving in this way.

If you want a daytrip to Richelieu then Big Blue has a fast speedboat out there. IQ are good for daytrips to the closer sites. But as recommended a short liveaboard may work better for you, depending if you need to come back to land each evening. This way you avoid the long boat trips and get more dives. Oktavia has a great 3 day trip which concentrates on the northern area, good boat and great crew.

I've done Similans in 2013 and 2014. 2013, it was a better dive, water was nicer, more marine creatures in Richelieu Rocks, 2014, half of the creatures disappeared. Over dive??

In 2013, I did my dive with Similan Seven Sea Club, my guide was a Thai, name Wichay or something.
In 2014, with Khao Lak Scuba Adventures, Ricardo (Spanish dude) was my guide.

Both guides were great chaps. Enjoyed my time with them. Good and responsible.

I witnessed another guide from another boat, not sure which operator, which pissed me! The guide actually used his dagger to 'stabbed' under the rocks just to get a mantis shrimp out of hiding. How irresponsible! We enjoy our dives, not at the expense of other lives. Agree?

Brandon, not over dived but how about over fished?

I second Sea Dragon but have a look around, there are plenty of options out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom