Dive Operators in Cabo San Lucas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norboo:
How about dive equipment? Does Caboacuadeportes have large selections?

Actually, it's Cabo Acuadeportes, and, yes, it has a full range of good quality rental gear.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

longinc:
Hi There,

I am new to this online community and I'd like to say "Hello!!"

I am planning a dive trip to Cabo San Lucas, does anyone know of a good dive operator there? Any recommendations is much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Andrew
I would recommend Amigos del Mar, I dive with them every time I go to Cabo (6 trips so far) They have a Trimaran (not a panga like most of the other ops) with Oxygen on board, they list their boats as the most comfortable dive boats in Cabo and they are right. The DMs are knowledgable and able to find the interesting stuff, plus they are safety conscious. They also rent Scubapro gear that is in pretty good shape for rental and full wetsuits which you will definitely need even in May. Amigos del Mar will require that you dive at least one dive in the bay area so they can assess your skills before they will take you to across the bay, to Cabo Pulmo or to Gordo Banks. Amigos del Mar is located near the fishing and cruise ship docs, close to the Galeon Restaurant, bottom of the hill up to Solmar, Finnesterra and Playa Grande resorts. Have a fabulous time. :dazzler1:

I went in sept 04 (just a few weeks ago). I started a thread which has had some really good responses, and at the end I posted my dive report, however i did not list my dive op by name(for no particular reason). The dive op I went with was Baja Dive Int. apparently they have a web site at www.baja-dive.net. The dive wasn't bad, and was a a popular local dive spot for tourists. I brought my own gear so luckily didn't have to use theirs, but the gear the DM was put into was bad, and looked like the rest of their dive gear. The backs of his boots were torn out, his first stage leaked the whole dive, the BC had holes worn through it and none of their tanks had inspections. I paid $35 USD for a 1 tank boat dive with the Op's DM. I am glad I brought my own gear, mexican dive equipment looks scary.

I got certified by Paco at Baja Dive and dove with them after my certification. Their equipment is not, shall we say, new, but it works. The Baja Dive web site hasn't been updated since horse collar BC's were the rage! (exaggeration alert!)

Their tanks (or at least, the ones I used) had current hydro stamps and stickers (Paco made it a point to show me where they were, as part of the class). That said, I would be willing to believe that you dove with a tank that had a hydro but no sticker.

I think the owner (a norteamericano) is trying to sell the op (which is why he isn't reinvesting), but that's awfully shortsighted of him.

A lot of the shops actually swap rental equipment with one another (hey, I've got two real tall guys and am out of suits; trade you for that tiny sized BC for that petite customer you've got).

They do some serious freshwater rinsing of the wetsuits & BC's at the end of the day, though. And I never felt unsafe.

Victor (the other dive guide) is totally laid back (and has no sense of cold either!).

Nice report & glad you enjoyed Cabo!

HdTran
I see your experience was similar but not identical. I have to disagree with you about doing the "serious freshwater rinsing." When I went down there I took my travel set of regs (aka my cheaper ones) and rinsed them with their gear after the dive. A month ago i went to work on them and still tasted salt on the mouthpiece. That serious freshwater rinse isn't so serious, nor fresh. Yeah talking about antique gear in their. Pardon me for not recalling the name but on the wall in their they had a pair of fins hanging that I hadn't seen since the first pool session of my OW class, before the instructor encouraged the diver to get new fins. These fins had a foot pocket with rods coming out of it, the rods connected to a whale fin shaped piece of rubber.
Victor was a good DM, although his attention to the safety of his own equipment left a lot to be desired.

Hello from Cabo; The fins on the wall are test fins that the U.S. Navy are testing and were left for the shop as a free sample buy the Inventer and not or used buy customers or Divemasters.Rinsing is done after every dive and seeing how water is free it is done very well. If you did not rinse your Regs Very well that sounds like you were in a hurry Justin. Rental gear is Mares not scuba pro. And 20 new sets have been put into service. Rental gear is used two seasons then replaced. Victor is a certified Mares repair Tech. As is Paco. Dive Masters Like to use there own gear that they service them selfs as i do myself being a PADI Divemaster. Baja Dive I Might add Is the Only shop in Cabo that has NEVER had A diving Accident and has never put a diver in The Chamber. never anything more than some scrapes. And thats pretty good seeing how we have been in business since 1990.All tanks have current hydros and are VIP every 6 Mounths.While were on that subject our compressor is the newest in Cabo With a little over 1000 hours.

What dive op would be closest to The Crowne Plaza resort in Cabo? Thanks.

I think the Crowne Plaza is in San Jose Del Cabo, not CSL itself.

I believe that there's a dive shop in the (one and only) La Palmilla resort, just south of San Jose.

Baja Wild (another outfitter) is based in San Jose. I don't think there're many dive sites in San Jose, though. If you sign up with Baja Wild, they'll van you (is that a verb?) to either CSL or Cabo Pulmo for diving.

to Longinc, I just posted some information about my dives in Cabo a couple of weeks ago. I have used Amigos Del Mar in the past and have been pretty happy with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom