Dive Operator Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5615mike:
Hey Gordon, what was Dave saying about his competition? I will be diving with Aldora in several weeks. DWM could not accomodate us for all days so I checked with Christi and she could not either. Everyone is busy. Called Aldora and they could so will be diving with them for this trip. Should be interesting. Just interested in what Dave was saying.

PMing you...

Have not read all the post but... We have dove with a couple of ops in Coz. By far our favorite is Blue Xt Sea. Fast boat, great DMs and Captians. If you check the boards you will see she always gets great reviews.

Dive With Martin sounds like just what you are looking for.
He is the MEXICAN CARRIBBEAN CONNECTION !(IMHO)

Dive-Ho

Just curious - has anyone used the "King" package with Dive with Martin (95 cu ft tanks)?

I like Dimi Divers. This is why:
1. They have a large boat, which allows us to "hang out" on the top deck. It's a 30-45 minute ride to the dive sites. I like to relax, mingle, look out on to the ocean from an unobstructed view on the upper deck. Bring a nice beach towel to lay on and plenty of sunscreen.
2. Dimi serves up a killer lunch over the dive interval. Chicken, fresh rolls, peanut butter and jelly, spaghetti, cold drinks, etc.
3. The dive masters know the area very well. I'm a DM myself and am very picky about who I dive with.

bober99:
I'm looking for a dive operator in cozumel for my first trip there. I'm a new diver but will have AOW and nitrox certs by my trip date.
Any other suggestions?

I've stayed at Fiesta Americana three times over the past 8 years and enjoyed diving with the attached Dive House very much. But that doesn't give me much of a basis for comparison, so, as I get ready to book a trip for next month, I was hoping someone might comment on where they think Dive House ranks?

Thanks!

Dave

rachelscott51:
sharky60:
DWM excepts only cash but his prices are the cheapest I've found on the island, my wife and I dove for 6 days, 2 tank dives each day and with a 10% discount I think our bill was around $475! plus we got a free night dive and a free video out of it.
Good DM'S, good prices, 8 or less to a boat, they have nitrox and magnum tanks I do believe. visit his website www.divewithmartin.com for more info, if you e-mail him he'll get right back to you.
I looked at his website and it says that 5 days of 2 tank dives is $250 (and that includes the cash discount). When were you there, and do you need to ask for more off? I would like to dive for 6 days as well. Thanks.

When we used DWM we prepaid using a credit card using his US rep. Stacey Burton at Vacation Connection email sburton@airmail.net. We paid $250 for 10 dives.

At that time they offfered a free night dive with any package 3 or more days . So, if you will be diving 6 days then get two 3 day packages and get an extra night dive that way. I'm not sure that's how they do it now but you could check with Stacey.

PS The free video was a really nice memento. Well edited and set to music.

Hello. I've been lurking on this board for a few months now (first time poster) and would like to say thanks to everyone for all the great tips. My wife and I became certified in June, tested out in the Keys and were're ready for the big time in Coz. So far, this thread is helping us learn a bunch about local shops.

Question: I'm assuming, like in any foreign land, local currency sometimes "goes further" (is appreciated... might "buy" you a bit more in the end) than charge cards and USD's. When booking with a shop prior to coming down what's customary (in order to rest assured we'll get on the boat)? When tipping, does it matter if it's in pesos or USD?

Thanks,
Jeff

jeffmol:
Question: I'm assuming, like in any foreign land, local currency sometimes "goes further" (is appreciated... might "buy" you a bit more in the end) than charge cards and USD's. When booking with a shop prior to coming down what's customary (in order to rest assured we'll get on the boat)? When tipping, does it matter if it's in pesos or USD?

For tipping, it makes no diff whatsoever; dollars are nearly as (if not more) prevalent as pesos in the money flow on Cozumel.

In general, I find it best to have some of each. Pesos will generally get you a little better deal in taxis, but dollars are cheerfully accepted just about anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom