dive operator in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with them last year for a week and am returning in a few weeks to do it again. Good DM's (ask for Enrique, he's one of the best), the owners are a Canadian couple who have been in the dive industry for years. Margaret is a sweetheart, Mike seems to be a moody guy, but mostly it's his concern for the way his shop works. Had a chance to go out to dinner with them, really a class act. Boats are clean, leave and return on time, nice bonus is the Hog Town Cafe at their docks, good food, cheap. They'll pick up at resorts, too.

happy diving.

Mike

Gordon,

Just to set the record straight a bit. I believe Aldora is owned by two people. One of those people is Dave Dillihay and while Dave is a US citizen formerly living in the US, he has moved to Cozumel full time, purchased a house there and moved his family there including putting his children into local schools. Dave has invested much time, effort and hard earned cash into Aldora and thereby brought far more into Coz than he has ever taken out. The other owner (50% owner I believe) of Aldora is Memo Mendosa who is a local, a Mexican citizen and an excellent divemaster/instructor.

Given the profile of the two owners I don't believe the "gringo owner" reference applies here. Aldora is not an americanized chain like Hooters or Dairy Queen that exports any profits or franchise fees. They exist as a single operation in Cozumel only. From what I understand (from a divemaster they were working with on a trial basis) they are one of the highest paying operators on the island for their divemasters/captains which certainly helps the local economy (at the expense of the owners wallets).

You have stated valid reasons for prefering other dive operators on other posts and Coz certainly has many fine choices along these lines. You are obviously a seasoned Cozumel regular and I'm sure you don't mean to promote any misplaced "gringo owner" biggotry.

BrettM:
Gordon,

Just to set the record straight a bit. I believe Aldora is owned by two people. One of those people is Dave Dillihay and while Dave is a US citizen formerly living in the US, he has moved to Cozumel full time, purchased a house there and moved his family there including putting his children into local schools. Dave has invested much time, effort and hard earned cash into Aldora and thereby brought far more into Coz than he has ever taken out. The other owner (50% owner I believe) of Aldora is Memo Mendosa who is a local, a Mexican citizen and an excellent divemaster/instructor.

Given the profile of the two owners I don't believe the "gringo owner" reference applies here. Aldora is not an americanized chain like Hooters or Dairy Queen that exports any profits or franchise fees. They exist as a single operation in Cozumel only. From what I understand (from a divemaster they were working with on a trial basis) they are one of the highest paying operators on the island for their divemasters/captains which certainly helps the local economy (at the expense of the owners wallets).

You have stated valid reasons for prefering other dive operators on other posts and Coz certainly has many fine choices along these lines. You are obviously a seasoned Cozumel regular and I'm sure you don't mean to promote any misplaced "gringo owner" biggotry.

Well said sir.

BrettM:
Gordon,

[...]

It isn't anti-gringo bigotry at all; it's a simple preference for spending my money with local businesses who don't export their profits. I'd feel the same way if they were Chinese or Cheyenne. But if all you say is true, then I stand corrected and will remove that item from my list of reasons why I don't dive with Aldora.

ggunn:
It isn't anti-gringo bigotry at all; it's a simple preference for spending my money with local businesses who don't export their profits. I'd feel the same way if they were Chinese or Cheyenne. But if all you say is true, then I stand corrected and will remove that item from my list of reasons why I don't dive with Aldora.

Oh, boy, here we go. I'm Chinese, born in America, which makes me a Gringo, live in Queens New York, ride the subway all the time and I dive Aldora.

Man....., insult my heritage, insult my country, insult where I live, insult how I get to work, and worst of all insult my favorite dive operator.

Just kidding.

I like Dimi Scuba Tours. My biggest reason is that they don't leave at the smiling butt crack of dawn! They leave a little later then the rest of the operators, very nice in the event one watched or participated in the craziness at Carlos and Charlies. Their 3 tank trip is way cool. Hit the deep site when the other ops are at their second site. Make another dive then have a nice lunch on the boat or the beach. Finish the afternoon off with a dive and be back at the hotel in time for a nap. Their boats are slow boats, no six packs that I know of. We have had great luck with them.

Joe

scubajoe:
I like Dimi Scuba Tours. My biggest reason is that they don't leave at the smiling butt crack of dawn! They leave a little later then the rest of the operators, very nice in the event one watched or participated in the craziness at Carlos and Charlies. Their 3 tank trip is way cool. Hit the deep site when the other ops are at their second site. Make another dive then have a nice lunch on the boat or the beach. Finish the afternoon off with a dive and be back at the hotel in time for a nap. Their boats are slow boats, no six packs that I know of. We have had great luck with them.

Joe
Just goes to show that there is a dive operator for every preference in Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom