Dive Operator/Charter near Topsail?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcbrandt

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone help? We are from VA & we'll be spending a week in the Topsail area in July '03. (#1) Looking for a dive operator / charter mear Topsail (say <30 miles). We'll need tanks, but have the rest. Also, we are somewhat new to diving (20+ dives under our belts - OW cert in Summer 2001). (#2) Is NC Wreck diving going to be too advanced for us? We did a wreck dive in Curacao (ship was sunk to 120', but we didn't really go below 90'). We've also dived a 75' Tug & a 100' wreck in Key West. (#3) Do we need advanced certification to dive wrecks near Topsail? (#4) Are there any good ledge / inshore dives near Topsail. Any help would be appreciated. Can't wait to go that far south in NC! Never been further South than Outer Banks.

Are you on Topsail or North Topsail (the island is about 20 miles long). From Surf City ( middle of the island) you can get to Aquatic Safaris http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/ in about 30 minutes. They have any equipment you need, two Island Hoppers, run charters seven days a week to a variety of sites for all levels of experience, and are very reliable. The only shore dive is on the south end of the island on the Innercoastal Waterway and not recommended unless you know the tides/currents in that area. Topsail is a quiet, relaxing place. Have fun.
DSAO

What is the shore dive you're talking about? I would be interested in doing it sometime if worthwhile. Any information you have would be appreciated. Have you ever dove it? I go to the Carolina's alot and can't always justify diving on a charter, so would love some good shore dives.

Thanks in advance. This may be a tangent to the original thread, so feel free to start new thread in response.

Welcome to the board.

You are not too far from some good dive operators. Here is a link to a site that you may find useful. http://ncscuba.com/

It's hard to say if you have enough experience to dive here but based on 20 dives and no real ocean experience, I would have some reservations. While depth is important and our wrecks tend to be on the deep side, 90ft up, it's the sea conditions I have most concern about. Do you have a safety sausage, some form of line cutter, do you get seasick, have you had experience with currents and deep dives WITHOUT A DM (you are on your own here)? If not, then I would suggest that at a minimum you find a good experienced buddy to hook up with and be sure they know you are new to NC diving. If you can get a charter to one of the inshore wrecks, those are your best bet. Curacao and Key West are overgrown lakes compaired to what our condition can be. 4 ft seas are a nice day with 5 to 6 being more the norm. Current and vis can vary from none and gin clear like Curacao to strong and poor. Most all of our wrecks are at least 1 1/2 to 3 hours out. Between the heat, waves and diesel fumes, seasickness is a real problem for many people. On the rare dead calm days, our diving is great but when the seas get a little rough, it can be some pretty difficult diving. Watching the stern of a 50ft boat dip below the surface and then watching the prop come out of the water is a bit unnerving and you have to catch the ladder to get back on the boat.

Your last problem is going to be finding an open spot. Mid week you may find an opening but most weekends are booked full months in advance. Also be prepaired to get canceled, due to weather and sea conditions, we have about a 50/50 cancelation rate.

I don't mean to sound negative but I feel that way too many people come here expecting great wreck diving, which we do have, but are totally unprepaired for the conditions that commonly exist.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom