Dive on East Coast 3/19/06-03/24/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joker11

Registered
Reaction score
The very southwest tip of Arizona, two miles from
Fellow divers,

Please help me out here. I am travelling to Boston and have NEVER been in any ocean other than the Pacific here in San Diego, CA.
I want to do a dive 30 minutes just to get the bottom time on the east coast. I have all my own gear (won't be taking weights on the plane...duh) but my question is in reference to the fact that I only have a Henderson Hyperstretch 5/7 full suit. Can I get by for 30 minutes if I layer another suit over me? Or is this dry suit only country? C'mon don't laugh at me. I live where it gets over 120F during the summer and we dive in the river nekkid. I don't care about viz, just want a chance to log the time somewhere new! I know, that's a lame aspiration, but I will be travelling on business and will only be free after 4pm every day. Advice? Other than "Go blow bubbles." hahha?

Joker11:
Fellow divers,

Please help me out here. I am travelling to Boston and have NEVER been in any ocean other than the Pacific here in San Diego, CA.
I want to do a dive 30 minutes just to get the bottom time on the east coast. I have all my own gear (won't be taking weights on the plane...duh) but my question is in reference to the fact that I only have a Henderson Hyperstretch 5/7 full suit. Can I get by for 30 minutes if I layer another suit over me? Or is this dry suit only country? C'mon don't laugh at me. I live where it gets over 120F during the summer and we dive in the river nekkid. I don't care about viz, just want a chance to log the time somewhere new! I know, that's a lame aspiration, but I will be travelling on business and will only be free after 4pm every day. Advice? Other than "Go blow bubbles." hahha?

There are a few hard core divers that never seem to get cold regardless of equipment but for most, you would not be comfortable for 30 minutes in March with anything other than a drysuit. With a double layer 7mm suit you could probably do 20 minutes and surface freezing.

--Matt

Joker11:
Fellow divers,

I dive My Henderson 1 pc Hyperstretch 7/5 all the time in water about 42 degrees F.
If I can do it, you can do it too... I was in the water this week at 41 F for more than 2 hours.... I see no problems as long as you have a 7mm hood and gloves and boots....

Happy Diving

Fly down the coast to Baltimore and stay Saturday the 25th... We're driving up for some quarry dives at Bainbridge!

It'll be COLD! I hang up my wetsuit the end of October. No fun freezing when you get out of the water. I don't dive dry (yet). The surface temp is 40. I don't know what it is a depth, but there are other hardy souls who can reply with that.

I'm a wuss and dive when the air temps are 60+. I dive in a full 7mil + my merino lined 3mil hooded vest. So that's 10mil over my core. If I hit temps at depth in to the 40's I'm OK for a while.

What ever you can do to add layers will go a long way, including a hood.

If you didn't want to pack your wetsuit, and you have the time, you can rent a farmer John 7 mil. (14mil over your core) That'll probably be fine (PG Dive in Newton rents them).

Have fun!

matt_unique:
There are a few hard core divers that never seem to get cold regardless of equipment but for most, you would not be comfortable for 30 minutes in March with anything other than a drysuit. With a double layer 7mm suit you could probably do 20 minutes and surface freezing.

--Matt
I agree strongly with Matt. I have been diving here for a while now and although I am getting ready to go dry,I have always had a 7mm two piece.The water here has 2 temps... really cold and OMFG cold!! I would recommend you check out a couple of LDS here and get their advice on drysuits. If you do get to dive here, I would recommend Folly Cove. Arguably the best shore dive in the area!! Good luck!!

matt_unique:

--Matt
wholly crap! How cold is the water? I go 52* in my 7 mil for 30-45 minutes and am fine.. that must be some frigid water!

PS...I hope you post an update of your experience...after you defrost :wink:

David P:
wholly crap! How cold is the water? I go 52* in my 7 mil for 30-45 minutes and am fine.. that must be some frigid water!

Hey David, according to the local marine forecast, the SURFACE temps in Boston are running 37 to 38 degrees. That would be the first of the two temps I gave you earlier!!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom