Dive Mishap Key Largo 1/13/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the law of common sence should stop you! at least we all hope outherwise we would have more discussions like this one.

OK I KNOW AT LEAST 3 OTHER PEOPLE ON HERE THAT PERSONALY KNOW THE DIVER AND HER FAMILY AND I WILL SAY THAT THEY ARE NOT TO PLEASED WITH SOME OF THE POSTS IN THIS DISCUSSION IT HURTS WHEN YOU SPECULATE ABOUT SOME GREAT PEOPLE IF YOU KNEW THEM PERSONALY YOU WOULD SHUT YOUR MOUTHS AND UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS JUST A TRGEDY

me diver, if you are indeed a friend of this poor woman you of course have my (our) sympathy and I'm sure the loss weighs greatly on you, This is apparent by the emotional tone of your post.

Where I am at loss is what you find wrong or disrespectfully in the atmosphere of this thread. If you are implying we have no rights to discus our points of view or opinions just because we don't have a personal connection that would violate the principles of this forums, the Internet, and free speech.

Once again, I am sorry for your personal loss.

>>Where I am at loss is what you find wrong or disrespectfully in the atmosphere of this thread. If you are implying we have no rights to discus our points of view or opinions just because we don't have a personal connection that would violate the principles of this forums, the Internet, and free speech.<<

I would say suggesting that the husband ought to be a defendant in relation to her death is disrespectful and hurtful.

Name calling and bickering about whether police officers all lie and attorneys are scum is disrespectful in the context that this forum is intended to serve - that we share our incidents and losses and learn from them.

I came here looking for information about the death of an acquaintance, after learning about it in the newspaper this morning, and was appalled at what I read.

(There were a number of people who tried to bring some semblance of dignity to the discussion, and it may even have been the majority, but those voices have been overwhelmed by the - perhaps only a few - who were throwing salt into wounds.)

Sorry NancyLynn, It appears there is more of a pissing contest going on here then learning process. I extend our personal sympathy to you, her family and friends. This whole thing has shook me up and I did not even know her personally. I commend her family for giving life to many others in the midst of their tragedy and pain. I pray for their peace.

First off, my condolances to family and friends.

Details are few, and facts about the circumstances are likely to be in short supply.

The purpose of this forum is to try to learn from accidents, not to play the blame game. It seems that a couple points either have not been addressed or only in passing.

It has been suggested that the diver aspirated water on the surface after removing her regulator from her mouth. I have no idea if this is true. If so, the teaching point is to surface with sufficient air so that you can continue to breathe from your regulator until clear of the water (back aboard the boat or on shore). Use hand signals for communication until that time. If air supply is too low to permit this, breathing from the snorkel may be easier.

I can't begin to suggest a one-size-fits-all procedure for what to do with dive gear following an accident. But I can recommend one course of action - communicate! Ask the investigating agency and do what they request. If the initial response doesn't seem to make sense, explain why you think so in a clear, calm manner. Perhaps calmly request that a more senior investigator attend the scene and politely explain your concerns to him/her. Remember that much of what you communicate will be by body language, tone of voice, and not simply your words.

the lady's obit is in the cantonrep.com today. My deepest sympathy to her family and friends.

With respect to the family in mind, is there any possiblity of opening a new thread to continue this discusion regarding laws pertaining to equip. rental. It seems to have become the last focus of this thread. It would also allow individuals to exercis their rights to free speech while preserving this thread for condolences and memories of the deceased. Just a suggestion from a newbie:)

seemybubbles:
With respect to the family in mind, is there any possiblity of opening a new thread to continue this discusion regarding laws pertaining to equip. rental. It seems to have become the last focus of this thread. It would also allow individuals to exercis their rights to free speech while preserving this thread for condolences and memories of the deceased. Just a suggestion from a newbie:)

You (and others) might want to check the rules of the forum. The stated purpose for the forum is the analysis of accidents. Here's a link.http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=52701

While there might not be much to analyze here and our attempts at analysis often go off on little tangents anyway, condolences and memories of the victims aren't the purpose of the forum.

seemybubbles:

The focus of the thread has been speculation from the beginning, it happens after every accident reported on the board. Very little fact and lots of opinions and speculation. We need a new forum, Accident Speculations.

DennisS:
The focus of the thread has been speculation from the beginning, it happens after every accident reported on the board. Very little fact and lots of opinions and speculation. We need a new forum, Accident Speculations.

We (the public) rarely get many of the facts. We take what we do get (which sometimes is very little) and hash it over to see if there is anything of value there. In many cases you might call it speculation. In fact since, none of us, has any special access to evidence and virtually everything here is second, third or fourth hand and incomplete, it's really ALL speculation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom