Dive medicine question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldfart01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all, I had been an active travelling diver for about 15 years. I ended up taking 5 years off from diving when we took in 3 young foster children. No time left!! Life just got in the way for a bit. In 2011 I ended up with an all time bad year for me, healthwise. In 12 months time, I had a double lumbar fusion, a colloid cist removed from my brain on the fourth ventricle, and a badly infected gall bladder that nearly burst and had to be removed, followed by a bile duct repair repair from damage done by the gall bladder. A few weeks after the last surgery I was at home healing up, got very dizzy, passed out & managed to put my head through a mirrored glass closet door when I went down, giving myself a severe concussion. :shocked2: I have had 2 previous L5-S1 surgeries in 95 & 96 that caused no issues with my diving. Fun huh? I know you all are jealous of my exciting life now!

So all that mess brings me to my question. Could you suggest anywhere for info about the safety of my returning to diving at this point? I really don't even know where to start. It was a year in February since my last surgery. I'm fairly strong now, I'm lifting weights again for about a year, & doing some fairly challenging hiking. I'm now 55, if that has any bearing. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you know for sure that your dizzy spell directly related to your recovery from surgery? Might it have another cause?

The standard place to go is DAN, the Diver Alert Network. They will be able to suggest doctors in your neighborhood with whom you could consult who are knowledgeable about both medicine and diving.

The docs think it might have been too much loading on my system with all the things in a fairly short time frame. I haven't had any dizziness since. The only thing I still have is I feel like crap when storms roll in from the barometric pressure changes. It feels very similar to a wicked bad hangover. I'm not sure if diving would induce the same thing or not? I was a Dan member all the time I was active with diving, I guess they would be a great contact. I didn't know if this would be too involved to bother them with since I'm not currently a member.

Obviously it is not good to pass out under water, and you will want to make sure that is not a danger. I can't speak for the rest of your issues.

Obviously it is not good to pass out under water, and you will want to make sure that is not a danger. I can't speak for the rest of your issues.

I would have to agree, passing out underwater would not be fun. It was bad enough when I threw up underwater on a wreck dive once. No napping for me underwater if I can help it! I have had enough hospital stuff to last me quite a while.

I was a Dan member all the time I was active with diving, I guess they would be a great contact. I didn't know if this would be too involved to bother them with since I'm not currently a member.

Hi Oldfart,

Your case is way too complicated and as yet poorly sorted out to allow for a meaningful response on this forum. You're going to need to see a diving medicine saavy physician and I think that DAN is a good place to begin in locating one. You may inquire at -> Scuba Diving Medical Services. They will be happy to offer advice even though you are no longer a member.

In the meantme, it would be prudent to refrain from diving.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Oldfart,

Your case is way too complicated and as yet poorly sorted out to allow for a meaningful response on this forum. You're going to need to see a diving medicine saavy physician and I think that DAN is a good place to begin in locating one. You may inquire at -> Scuba Diving Medical Services. They will be happy to offer advice even though you are no longer a member.

In the meantme, it would be prudent to refrain from diving.

Best of luck.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc, I will do that today. I have no intention to dive until I have solid info on the safety of my diving. I've had more than enough emergency medical procedures lately, I surely don't want to cause myself to need any more of them. Thanks again.

The great thing about DAN is member or not, there are there for you to bring this type of question to. That is one reason I have supported them as a memeber since 2001 when I started diving. Call DAN they will look at what you say, most likely determine they need an eyes on exam and referr you to a dive physician in your area.

I talked to DAN, they were very nice & gave me the name of a dive Doc to go see & get this sorted out. Thanks everybody for your advice. Hopefully this is my first step to get back into diving again.

Back
Top Bottom