Dive Master Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the Going Pro forum was invaluable for me. But there hasn't been much action there last year or two.

k--You almost drowned yourself....? Where have you been last bunch of time? I always enjoyed your posts.

LOL TMHeimer I have been working like you would not believe. But things are finally slowing down and I did a dive in Cozumel in January and now I am hooked again. About the drowning. I have never been a strong swimmer but I make do. I swam so much and pushed so hard all I could do was literally sit on the side of the pool and waller out like a walrus. LOL I just laid there and begged the instructor to just let me sleep where I lay but they had to close the shop lol

I took swimming lessons to address my weakness, the swim wasn't great but I managed a 3 for scoring and made up in the other areas. Now I love doing laps in the pool!

Old news here, but I too needed "re-tooling" of my swim technique via advice from my two competitive swimming brothers. It was off due to a 39 year hiatus from swimming since the HS swim team circa 1970. I too did finally get a 3 , but after once weekly lapping at the pool for about 6 months. Too costly more than once a week since the only pool was a 100 mile round trip and Canadian gas prices. Am retired from DMing after 4 years, but boy, did getting a 3 on that 400 help me a ton as an assistant. NOT. Now, let's all discuss diving and swimming....never been done here...

Hello,
I am new to scubaboard.com and am interested in becoming a dive master. Any advice?

First of all ... to make sure we are on the same page .. PADI is having 2 programs .. 1st is called Master scuba diver .. and 2nd is called Dive master...

they are very different ..

Master scuba diver .. in order to achieve it .. you need to have open water then advanced open water ..then EFR and rescue .. and 5 PADI specialties + 50 logged dives...

Dive Master .. is order to achieve it .. you have to do the following:
- you will need to have at least 40 logged dives to start and at least 60 dives by the time you apply for the certificate
- you need to have rescue certificate as a pre-requisite.
-finish theoretical knowledge (9 chapters so far) .. and answer knowledge review..
- then do the exam (actually 2 parts 60 questions each).. u need to pass certain score
- do skill exams .. towing .. several circuit swims .. stress exam (exchanging scuba gear underwater using only 1 second stage shared with your body ) ... and u need to score at least 15 points to pass..
- get medical approval that your health is good with diving.
- after you get the certificate you will need to pay yearly membership .. otherwise you will not be divemaster ..
- get deep dive/search and recovery specialties
- do pool sessions with instructor and show how to demonstrate basic skills .. like mask removal/replacement .. 2nd stage removal and recovery .. 5 points ascent/decent .. CESA ..etc..
- finish dive master internship that includes :
--- least 2 pool sessions with students .. assisting the instructor
--- do at least 5 open water dives/weekends with openwater/advanced/rescue/specialty students

the main point is to get an answer why do you want to get divemaster certificate ? you shall have the motives to help , guide, supervise and assist .. and you will be obligated in case you became divemaster ..

so it may be easy to get the certificates .. but the duties and obligations are not that easy if you really want to be a good dive master.

Last edited:
becoming a divemaster and then moving onto the instructor level can be one of the most rewarding experiences you can gain as a diver. I wanted to work in the industry when I went through my courses, the first piece of advice that I can give is that your dives are going to become more challenging as well as you having to some of the more unpleasant tasks. I can remember sitting in 50 degree water for close to an hour before the other instructors and students started getting in the water and then having to stay in until the last student had exited.

As far as advice, find a dive shop or instructor that's wiling to work with you, I wasn't the greatest swimmer but a couple of instructors worked with me and helped get me to where I could pass the naui swim.

becoming a divemaster and then moving onto the instructor level can be one of the most rewarding experiences you can gain as a diver. I wanted to work in the industry when I went through my courses, the first piece of advice that I can give is that your dives are going to become more challenging as well as you having to some of the more unpleasant tasks. I can remember sitting in 50 degree water for close to an hour before the other instructors and students started getting in the water and then having to stay in until the last student had exited.

As far as advice, find a dive shop or instructor that's wiling to work with you, I wasn't the greatest swimmer but a couple of instructors worked with me and helped get me to where I could pass the naui swim.
Yes, but in a drysuit? Why were you in there so long alone? Setting the training float?

First time I did it I was training to become a divemaster, in a wetsuit, after that dry suit all the way. But yes I was setting training floats on a number of platforms we used.

Back
Top Bottom