Dive Master Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plan to survive yes they suck there dive planning and skill set . that being said as a dive you are responsiable for your own safety and dive. get your skills to the point that the only thing you need out of a dive boat is a ride lol. stop think breath then solve the problem. dont know where you live but come get in the water with use we are independent and fun

The divemaster did screw up, because he missed the site and that caused the group to have to return (against the current) to the wreck.

Just a note . . . the DM may not have screwed up. Putting the group on the wreck in current is as much a responsibility of the captain as it is the DM. If they were dropped too close to the site and the water was moving faster than expected, it may have been virtually impossible to get down fast enough to hit the wreck, especially if anyone in the group had troubles descending. I was very impressed with the skill of the captains in Florida, where we did a bunch of wreck dives in current, at estimating where to drop us to have us end up just upcurrent from the target, but it was easy to see how mistakes could be made.

To the OP -- you had a scary experience, and an annoying one. You wanted to dive a wreck and didn't make the target. That happens, in wreck diving! Where you were, it was current; where we are, it's visibility. You can go down the anchor line and discover you just can't FIND the wreck, because the anchor or shot didn't drop close enough to it. It's part of the world of diving.

Once you realized you were blown off (and I assume there was nothing else to see) you made the correct call to abort the dive, but your buddy should have been with you and should have made that ascent with you. I think everybody else has already talked about the lessons there, about discussing buddy procedures before getting in the water, especially if you know there are conditions like current or reduced visibility that may increase the risk of having to end a dive early. In addition, I think you've probably learned that boat diving, especially in current, really requires safety signaling equipment -- being dependent on the DM or ANYBODY else for your ability to be found is a really bad idea.

As again already mentioned, you were only two of a whole group of divers -- did you want the whole group to abort their dive to ascend with you? Once you are on your way to the surface, you are really much more the responsibility of the boat crew, and it sounds as though they found you, which is what they are supposed to do. I have spent my share of time bobbing on the surface, hoping the boat was coming back . . . it isn't a fun place to be, but so far, they've always reappeared.

I think the offer of a free dive with them was a nice gesture, and an acknowledgment that their execution of the dive failed to put you on the wreck you expected to see. I wouldn't expect anything more.

Last edited:
I agree with Bubbletrouble, in Cozumel, where I have experience, the divemaster guides the dive but it's up to the individual to follow and they don't keep track of everyone under water. Your buddy is the one who is to stick with you. If you get lost you surface, put up your safety marker and signal to be picked up.

I also don't think it's realistic for them to refund you payment because the dive went wrong, at least not in Mexico, and it's not worthwhile to point blame.

Adam

Lots of great stuff in here, and now that it's been over a week and I've thought about it, many of you are right, the blame really lies on me with my inexperience and not communicating with my dive buddy. I will use this as a learning experience and ensure that he and I have a plan, as we are supposed to, before we go in the water. Yes, my life is in my own hands, and honestly, I guess I just got comfortable and didn't do everything I was supposed to prior to going in the water. I will take this as a learning experience and it will never happen again.

To answer an earlier question, yes, I was fully negative but just got caught up in the current. I will definitely buy an SMB or a whistle for my next dive. Thanks again all, I hope that others can learn from this as I have.

Greek, thank you for posting your experience, and for the grace you show in accepting the feedback you got. Accounts of such incidents are one of the rich things about ScubaBoard; someone else can learn from this event, without having to make the same mistakes.

Just a note . . . the DM may not have screwed up. Putting the group on the wreck in current is as much a responsibility of the captain as it is the DM.
A VERY good point. The captain positions the boat upcurrent of the site at the point s/he aniticpates will allow the divers to descend to the wreck, or slightly upcurrent of the wreck. And, they make the position call on the basis of experience at the site and what they perceive to be the current at the surface. Sometimes, they are wrong.
If they were dropped too close to the site and the water was moving faster than expected, it may have been virtually impossible to get down fast enough to hit the wreck, especially if anyone in the group had troubles descending. I was very impressed with the skill of the captains in Florida, where we did a bunch of wreck dives in current, at estimating where to drop us to have us end up just upcurrent from the target, but it was easy to see how mistakes could be made.
My experience as well. I have had dives on the same FL wreck, with the same (good) captain, two days in a row, and missed the wreck one time, and hit it the other. A lot of that had to do with how quickly the group got in the water, whether anyone had a gear problem after entering that delayed their descent, etc. It is also a lot easier with a 6 pack / smaller boat. If the OP was on a much larger boat, the first divers in the water may have made the wreck but, by the time everyone was off the boat, the last divers may have been too far downcurrent for easy descent.

Lots of great stuff in here, and now that it's been over a week and I've thought about it, many of you are right, the blame really lies on me with my inexperience and not communicating with my dive buddy. I will use this as a learning experience and ensure that he and I have a plan, as we are supposed to, before we go in the water. Yes, my life is in my own hands, and honestly, I guess I just got comfortable and didn't do everything I was supposed to prior to going in the water. I will take this as a learning experience and it will never happen again.

To answer an earlier question, yes, I was fully negative but just got caught up in the current. I will definitely buy an SMB or a whistle for my next dive. Thanks again all, I hope that others can learn from this as I have.

Sounds like your first mistake was attempting to dive beyond your limits. If you needed looking after you could have taken a course (like a wreck adventure dive) where you would have gotten you very own designated instructor. Or else asked for a private guide to babysit you. Pay peanuts get moneys.

In my experience, the SMB is much more useful than the whistle. I've never been able to hear a whistle above a boat engine...

Another thought is those Dive Alerts (huge sound). I attach mine if there seems to be enough current that something could happen. There is also one that can be used underwater--wish I had bought that one.

Another thought is those Dive Alerts (huge sound). I attach mine if there seems to be enough current that something could happen. There is also one that can be used underwater--wish I had bought that one.

Dive alerts are great safety tools on the surface. Underwater, they rank right behind divers who chase marine life and divers who crush coral IMHO. I'm happy you didn't get that one. :D

Sounds like your first mistake was attempting to dive beyond your limits. If you needed looking after you could have taken a course (like a wreck adventure dive) where you would have gotten you very own designated instructor. Or else asked for a private guide to babysit you. Pay peanuts get moneys.

In my experience, the SMB is much more useful than the whistle. I've never been able to hear a whistle above a boat engine...

With all due respect Popje, I was diving well within my limits and didn't need a babysitter, nor was I asking for one. I had a bad experience, got emotional about it, and put it out to the diving community to see if I was wrong or if I should have acted differently or expected something different. I don't appreciate being patronized, but I guess I can expect that from an Internet message board. Thanks to everyone else for their views.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom