Dive Malta?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will be out to Malta in October.... even if I don't dislike it I'm not really a wreck dives fan. Which one you will rate as the most interesting five dives around a part the wrecks?

Scubatravel voters rank two dives in Malta among the top 100 of the WHOLE WORLD!
Best One Hundred Dive Sites around the World
specifically:
Blue Hole,Gozo
Cirkewwa

are they that good?

thanks a million to anyone...just felt to use this thread and not opening a new one.

The_Daddy

The situation changes from year to year there as the Maltese government made and makes new artificial reefs regularly. There are historical wrecks like the HMS Maori near Valletta where the visibility is worse, and two deep wrecks, the Blenheim Bomber and the HMS Stubborn submarine. Many people like the huge tanker's wreck at Wied iz-Zurrieq, and the artificial reefs at Cirkewwa, the Rozi tugboat and the P29 patrol boat. They recently sank the P31 near Comino. Most of these wreck dives are easy and the ships attract marine life, so fun to dive here. There are some nice cavern,s my favourite dive spots are the wonderful caverns at Gozo: the Azure Window and the Inland sea. These are easy dives as well and in October the water will be warm, should be 23-25 Celsius. I've been to Malta for two times and enjoyed it, absolutely worth diving there.

I hope my two videos will show more about the wrecks:
P29
HMS Maori

Thanks ElChe.
Definitively I want to do some caverns at Gozo...is a two tanks enough there one day or do you recommend to go back to Gozo more days consecutively?
Then of course I'll do some wrecks among those that you indicate!
Thanks a million

The_Daddy

I don't know how much dives you plan. My advice is to spend a day in Gozo, the Azure Window and the Inland sea is a typical daytrip. Another day in Cirkewwa with the P29 and Rozi, a 3rd in Wied iz-Zurrieq would be nice. All the local dive centers dive all the spots and do all the transfers anywhere you stay, so "organizing" means you choose the first one which seems OK. 90 percent of the dives are shore dives, so they pick you up in the morning and bring back in the afternoon. Malta is surprisingly tiny island...

I'm planning exactly 3 days diving so actually your suggested schedule seems to fit perefctly:)

They are very good but I would not say that they deserve that rating. The decimation of animal life in the Mediterranean really takes away from some lovely sites. There are wonderful things to see, and a couple of the wrecks are fantastic, but the environment is less interesting than many others around the world. That being said I would most certainly recommend diving there and am sure you will have a wonderful time, just dont expect this to be as vibrant or diverse as the Red Sea, Indonesia, or some the south Pacific WWII wreck sites.

@timothyk - timo I agree as I'm very much aware of the situation in the mediterranean and what to expect mainly in a dive.....this is why me too i was surprised of such a rating! btw I'll check that out in a month :) will probably stick two or three dives in Gozo and some wrecks in Malta main island

Back
Top Bottom