Dive Log Template - MS Excel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The benefit of using a database is you can create a custom form to enter and view data about each dive...the database then stores that data in table. You can also create multiple tables that use the same input form (relational database). You should be able to able to make charts, tables, pivot tables, etc from the data, as well as unique reports.

The chart that graphs the sea temp is great but the "database" tab of the spreadsheet is a huge eyechart.

-Z

I have not used access in very many years so I am way out of date on developing databases but you may be able to import your spreadsheet to use as the primary table of the databased file.

-Z
MS Access is banned by a large number of organisations as it contains a number of security flaws allows. Its not the most friendly of databases either. For analysing personal diving information a database is over the top, I did start out that way and quickly realised a spreadsheet does the job I want.

Agree Subsurface etc. will do a lot of things - I like it for the ease of downloading my dive data.

MS Access is banned by a large number of organisations as it contains a number of security flaws allows. Its not the most friendly of databases either. For analysing personal diving information a database is over the top, I did start out that way and quickly realised a spreadsheet does the job I want.

Agree Subsurface etc. will do a lot of things - I like it for the ease of downloading my dive data.

I agree that MS Access is not the most user friendly product on the market...I was just playing around with it and it is much friendlier than it was when I was using it regularly back in 2000/2001.

While it may be true that a large number of organizations ban its use (I really don't know), this discussion is not about business use, but about personal use....there should be little issue with using the program to establish a personal database to log dives.

I just spent the last 20 minutes creating a sample database for tracking procurement and all the associated tasks. I could probably use it at work but it was more for proof of concept, with a single table and a single entry form. It works find and was fairly straight forward. I even added a table field that auto-calculates from other fields.....I need to play around with the reports function and figure out how to generate graphs and such from the data table...but so far it has not been difficult, and there is a ton of info online to learn from.

Cheers,

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom