Dive Log in Access Database

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcmag21

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings folks,

This is a new thread started after several of us started making a log book in excel and gradually transformed it to Microsoft Access. Some bells and whistles in here, but mostly just good data we won't want to loose. There are still a few things to get worked out, but so far there have been no Access gurus working on this. If anyone has some ideas, plese let us know.

For those who want to download this, just unzip it and fill in the blanks. I have some info in some of the tables justs to give you and idea of how to fill them in. To delete the data, just open the table and delete the records.

From the Switchboard, navigate to the log book, buddy list, Dive Shop list, site information, and gear records.

Thanks to CozDiver2001, rhadamanthus, jstuart1 and all the others for the work they put in on this before I ever got started.

Happy Thanksdiving,

McMag21

So I'm not going to claim to be an access guru ,or even anything close, but my understanding is that the only way to have access calculate data is in a report. What this seems to mean to me is that while you can generate very nice looking forms, and store huge amounts of data, if you want to use calculated data (SAC, Autodive#, cumulative bottom time, etc...) you have to answer questions in a form and then print/view the calculated data in a report. My few tries at this sort of thing have led to large clumps of hair being torn from my head, but maybe I'll try again. I also like the fact that access can link multiple tables and allow you to select data from dropdown lists. I know how much time it must have taken (see below) to get this together, good work.

On a side note (not to put you back to the old thread) I do have a way to work all this data and more in excel, except that you can't use dropdown menus or cross reference table data. I'll get the final touches on that and get it posted in the excel thread.

Is it safe to dive after turkey?
Mr:)

mr:-):
So I'm not going to claim to be an access guru ,or even anything close, but my understanding is that the only way to have access calculate data is in a report. What this seems to mean to me is that while you can generate very nice looking forms, and store huge amounts of data, if you want to use calculated data (SAC, Autodive#, cumulative bottom time, etc...) you have to answer questions in a form and then print/view the calculated data in a report. My few tries at this sort of thing have led to large clumps of hair being torn from my head, but maybe I'll try again. I also like the fact that access can link multiple tables and allow you to select data from dropdown lists. I know how much time it must have taken (see below) to get this together, good work.

On a side note (not to put you back to the old thread) I do have a way to work all this data and more in excel, except that you can't use dropdown menus or cross reference table data. I'll get the final touches on that and get it posted in the excel thread.

Is it safe to dive after turkey?

You can use calculated data on a form; for instance, you could write code so that an "On Current" event calculates and fills in all the blanks you want.

Spent many, many hours writing Access stuff at work.

I've been having a heck of a time having a previous bottom time total show up on the form at all, much less have it add to a dive bottom time for a new bottom time. I'll keep trying (maybe I'll have to read the book). Thanks,
mr:)

I changed the look a little and I also added a few things. I fixed the math problem, the log now calculates SAC, MOD and PPO2

hi, i just downloaded the file, un-ziped it and can't get it to run...i get the following message :can't open file, not from a trusted source..., when i open the zipped file as such, i get the read-only message, and i can't anything but a blank screen when i click on log...so what am i doing wrong....

thanks

j

I just opened and it worked fine for me. Are you extracting the file to your hard drive? I know if you open it inside of winzip it will not will work properly.

If we could only get it calculate bottom time!!!!! I had no luck with this and the answers that where given to me did not work.

Looks good Sharpenu!! The nice thing with this program is anyone can modify it to their liking.

Also you can add a picture as your background by :

" You could instead apply a tiled texture or photograph as the form background. Be warned that this can make your Access project extremely difficult to transport. In the upper left hand corner of the design window (where the two rulers converge), you will see a small grey square: the "Form Selector." When you click the square, Access displays a black square in the grey area. Double-click this grey area to open the "Form Properties Box." In the "Format" tab, scroll down until you see the "Picture" field. The default option is "none," but when you click in the field space, a tiny "Build Button" appears (marked by three ellipses dots). Clicking the "Build Button" allows you to scroll to the shared drive and choose a background image. See what happens when you experiment with "Picture Size Mode," "Picture Alignment," and "Picture Tiling." Close the little Form Format window."

Coz

Coz and others,

I got the formula for Bottom Time to work, finially. I haven't loaded anything into Sharpenu's programs, so I just noticed that it uses Time In and BT along with SI, but no calcs. I can't get it to calc Total BT on the log or in the personal data screen, but did get it to work in a report. After the holidays, I will work on adding more reports and set them up for printing. If I could get some input on format, that would be helpful. Do most people want 8.5 x 11 pages or 5.5 x 8.5? Maybe both if I get lucky, but don't count on it.

mcmag21

mcmag21,

Either sounds good to me!! I have not had time to work on that end, no printer @ the house...

Also my understanding is that the only way to calculate bottom time would be in a report... So I guess we will have to live with that.

I can't figure out how to do this but rumor has it that you can create a sub-form that displays on your form. There should then be a way to base that sub-form on whatever query the report works on. I've seen databases that use a constantly updating sub-form for orders.

All that aside the stuff you've got is great, thanks for the hard work.

P.S. I use 81/2 X 11 pages

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom