Dive Log Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently had my computer crash and I have a text file for my Aeries dive computer. The guys at Aeries said the text file that I have can not be converted into an MS Access to be loaded into their software program. They said I need DLG or the BAK file. Problem is I do not have these files as the HD they were on crashed. Is it possible to convert an text file into access? Does anyone know of a program out there I can store these on?

Thanks,

Sean

Oceanic/Aeris can create "export" text files but they cannot import them.
If you really want/need to get the data back into a s/w dive log you can purchase a 3rd party
s/w package. Not sure about the others but I know that Scubase can import the
dives and profile data from your Aeris ACI export file.

Here is a link their web page:
Scubase

--- bill

It depends on the type of text file. There is more than one.

Yes, the file can be converted to Access and I'm surprised the folks at Aeris have never built an import function.

How much data do you have? If the text file is not that large you can separate the fields with some delimiter such as a comma. Then import the comma separated values (.csv) file into access.

If the text file is very large - grab a cold drink, put on some tunes, and have at it.

I recently had my computer crash and I have a text file for my Aeries dive computer. The guys at Aeries said the text file that I have can not be converted into an MS Access to be loaded into their software program. They said I need DLG or the BAK file. Problem is I do not have these files as the HD they were on crashed. Is it possible to convert an text file into access? Does anyone know of a program out there I can store these on?

Thanks,

Sean
Send me a copy of the file.
I'll have a look & let you know.
Rick
rick@scubaboard.com

How much data do you have? If the text file is not that large you can separate the fields with some delimiter such as a comma. Then import the comma separated values (.csv) file into access.

If the text file is very large - grab a cold drink, put on some tunes, and have at it.

Its not that easy. There are several fields in the database that are not in the export data.
Also, there are some Indexes for the dives and dive profile data that need to be set up
properly. To make it more complicated, the format of the export file has a variable number of fields
on each row/line in the file. This makes importing really tough.
It can be done but its not as simple as importing the data.
Lots of manual massaging will be involved.

If you still have the crashed disk and can access the file system on it, the files you want
are in the \Program Files\AERIS\Aeris Computer Interface 2.x\Logs
The .dlg files are the dive logs.

One thing that is really easy to do if all else fails is to re download the dives that are still in
the dive computer. Depending on your bottom time and profiles you could get up to the last
24 dives you made.

--- bill

If you haven't done anything with the hard drive that crashed and it wasn't a mechanical failure, there are several open source applications that you might be able to run against the drive and recover your data.

Just a thought

Mark

I'd also recommend bperrybap's advice. I use Scubase as my dive log. I only use the Oceanic/Aeris dive log program to import dives, immediately create the export text file, and then import it into Scubase.

Scubase is a much more versatile and user friendly log app.

Back
Top Bottom