Dive Locker in PCB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RamblinManta

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. New to the board and to diving. I was wondering if any had any experience with Dive Locker in Panama City Beach. Considering getting my AOW with them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What part of Alabama are you from? If you're closer to Mobile, or Pensacola, I'd go with the closer shop. There's no magic to any of the classes that count towards AOW, except maybe navigation which takes an instructor that isn't lazy.

Hello. New to the board and to diving. I was wondering if any had any experience with Dive Locker in Panama City Beach. Considering getting my AOW with them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I got my basic cert through them, my instructor was Todd and he is very good. They are a bunch of great guys and if i weren't in Pensacola now i would continue going to them for stuff.

Sent from my Tweaked Charge

My dive buddy got his cert last year from DL.....He wasnt very happy with the lack of attention paid to the students and understanding the basics.

Wife & I Just finished our AOW cert. last weekend at Dive Locker in Panama City (Thomas Drive); Todd, David, & Patti did a great job. I must say that one of two things happened (and bear with me here):

1. We were more prepared than the average diver that they are used to seeing in the AOW class, since we have plenty of recent diving experience, and took our OW certification through a very, very thorough NAUI instructor; they thereore left us to more or less just demonstrate the skills, so it was kind of a "we show you once, then you show us that you can perform the same task." Fairly straightforward demostration of skills and finish the Knowledge Review in the book for the 5 dive specialties (Deep, UW Nav, and three of your choosing).

2. We paid our fee and they are willing to sign off just about anything; this is not what I think really happened though because Todd really pays attention and makes you either do the skill/task correctly or do it over (Wife had plenty of instruction in knot tying, Sunday). The boat dives were a good time, plenty of attention to the basics and monitoring of techniques throughout the dive. Used the dive slates and performed all the required tasks to standard.

I know that I did not really learn too much "new" information and was a little underwhelmed by the academics; at the same time, I appreciated being treated like an adult and just getting to "go dive with some new dive partners" as Dave put it on our Deep dive.

Good overall experience, very accomodating since we travelled from out of town to go there too (Fort Rucker, AL).

Scuba miller, thanks south for the honest feedback. My dive buddy and I have decided to move forward with the AOW cert with Dive Locker next weekend. This is really good info.

Not a good experience. To start things off, the shop ran out of equipment. I had to use a BCD that was one size too small, and they had to take one off the shelves for my buddy. They gave us piecemeal regulators that weren't completely functioning properly. .

To top things off, the seas were rough....probably too rough to go out....and some us got a little sea sick. Deckhand rushed everyone into the water, too.

Probably would not use this shop again.

My dive buddy got his cert last year from DL.....He wasnt very happy with the lack of attention paid to the students and understanding the basics.

Must not have seen my reply......I havent been back to this shop since I had regs serviced and was treated badly. My dive buddy didnt even get the basics during his open water cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom