Dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Im looking into getting a more powerful handheld light for night diving.
I am currently looking at the UKC8 and princeton tec II 8c cell light.

I am trying to justify getting a rechargeable one or just one with regular batteries.There is a huge price difference between the two.

Can anyone tell me if the rechargeable ones are more brighter than the battery operated ones,enough so to justify the extra cost.I dont do a whole lot of night diving so the cost of changing batteries isnt really a factor.

I just want a good bright light but dont wanna pay the extra money if it isnt worth it for the rechargeable version.

The Princeton Tec Shockwave (original 12W model) is compatable with aftermarket NiMH rechargeables, without having to change the bulb. I can't tell the difference underwater whether I'm using rechargeables or alkalines. BUT, it cost me about $60 for 8 rechargeables and a charger, so I'm not sure if it works out more economical or not to buy your own like I did. However they're 4500mAH batteries, so they are a bit more souped up than your regular RadioShack versions. I'm not sure if they're 1.25V or 1.5V. I got them off eBay. Be careful buying batteries online though - some people sell batteries with no "button" on the end, that are designed to be soldered into battery packs. You want the ones with a button (normal alkaline shape).

The Shockwave II is a dual power model - to be honest I can't think of a situation where you would want to use the lower power - you almost always want more light than you've got. Maybe on a liveaboard where charging batteries is not an option and you want to extend battery life?

Back
Top Bottom