Dive Light Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1draper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just wanted to let everyone know that I've started posting some equipment reviews. The first round of reviews included "Dive Lights"

I received lights from Dorcy, Intova, UK, Princeton Tec, Nocturnal Lights and OMS. I've started posting the reviews on my site under the "Gear Review" section. Adventures in Underwater Florida

So far I have reviews up for Dorcy, Intova Torch 4.3Watt and OMS Vega K2.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you know anyone who'd like to provide sponsorship to keep the dive series going and the reviews coming let me know.

Thanks...

I've gone back and edited the pages to make sure they open correctly. I've verified that work in IE, Firefox and Google Chrome. I'm going to go back and add some more close-up pics showing attachment points for lanyards and clips. Let me know what you guys think.

Dive lights and Rechargeable Batteries, anyone use a Tusa TUL 300 or Intova 4.7 LED using
CR123 rechargeable batteries? If so what mh rating did you use or if you had any issues what were they?

Good work. Although the lack of metric measurements is a pain. How about measuring the beam angle/ hot spot angles?

Sure, I think should be able to do that. Actually, how would I calculate that?

Lets say you shine the light against a wall 2 meters away. The light beam is 1 meter wide.

You need to know the circumference of the circle in which you are shining the light.
Radius is 2 meters so circumference is 2meters x2 x Pi (3.14) or 12.5 meters.
The light shines over 1 meter or that 12.5m or 1/12.5 (2/25th to be correct).
360 degree / 12.5 X 1meter = 28.8 degree beam.

You should measure the hot spot and the spill separately. Pictures of the beam are also a great help.

Check out this pic.
On the left is a measured 5.7 degree beam from one of my lights using an aspheric lens. It has next to no spill light. On the right is a "6 degree" claimed beam from a Welch Allyn 10w HID fixed focus ( as used by most 10w HID dive lights).
Do they look the same size to you?:shakehead:
10wHIDvsW200.jpg

The bean on the left is more concentrated and the beam on the right is diffused more. I was thinking there was some sort of "more" complex math than that. I'll get the information and update the site.

Well you could be forgiven for thinking so with all the strange claimed beam angles by some manufactures.

What is really useful is photos of each lights beam. All taken from the exact same distance using the same camera on the exact same settings. eg, f stop, ISO, shutter duration etc.

I just posted a review for the Nocturnal Lights SLX 800T Technical light; check it out and let me know what you think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom