Dive Light Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CareyinFL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband asked for an Underwater Kinetics light for his birthday. His current dive light is terrible and a buddy of his let him use this one on a dive. He thought it was great.

For the price, is this a good dive light? Are there others that you would recommend? We mostly dive in Florida - so a bit murky - and on vacation in the Caribbean.

I want to get him a good light without breaking the bank. :cool2:

Thanks!

I agree with the above post. I can't stop laughing about Florida being a bit "murky"...lol, you should try some diving in jersey.

Putting myself in your husbands shoes and pretending you are my wife...

I'd love it if you asked me "Honey, that "looks like a nice light. Is there anything nicer you wished for but was afraid to ask for?"

I could tell you "yes" and then tell you what it is and how much it costs.... but that's coming from me and not him.

Duly noted! I was just thinking since he came back from the dive talking about it he obviously hadn't done any research and maybe you'd have some other ideas. I'll get the one he wants!

Quite possibly. It's not a light I'd want to own but that doesn't mean he wouldn't. You should ask him.

Which UK Light are you looking at?

If you are looking at the AquaSun ELED, in the 300+ Range, I'd suggest this light instead...

Finnsub - Short 750

It may be a great light for whatever your local definition of murky is. But for traveling for tropical diving, he may find it to be overkill. My big light is a PT Miniwave LED which is 390 lumens on high - and I usually keep it on low in tropical waters. The Light Canon LED is rated at 890 lumen. Sometimes brighter is better but often not - sometimes it just scares the fish. So you might want to look around for a good light that is bright enough for home but more compact. Or he could wind up with a wardrobe of lights - not there's anything wrong with that...

For LED lights you can save on battery weight for travel by using rechargeable AA batteries in C adapters. In the case of a 8C light though, it might be annoyingly buoyant.

To actually answer your question, $150 is a bit steep for 890 lumens. DRIS sells a 1000 lumen light for about $50 less that is popular, but it doesn't have the same form factor as the UK light and the beam characteristics may be different. (I'm not sure the difference between 1000 and 890 lumens is noticeable, BTW.) There are even cheaper Chinese lights but you probably don't want to go that route. Paying $50 more for something he knows he likes is money well spent, IMHO.

To actually answer your question, $150 is a bit steep for 890 lumens. DRIS sells a 1000 lumen light for about $50 less that is popular, but it doesn't have the same form factor as the UK light and the beam characteristics may be different. (I'm not sure the difference between 1000 and 890 lumens is noticeable, BTW.) There are even cheaper Chinese lights but you probably don't want to go that route. Paying $50 more for something he knows he likes is money well spent, IMHO.

The difference between 1000 and 890 lumens given the same beam angle would be all but unnoticeable.

Back
Top Bottom