Dive Land

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was at Diveland over the summer, probably around early July. It was open and a great quarry. Vis was amazing! Probably about 60 feet or so. Best I have ever seen in a quarry. Not too much sunken there, but the setting is amazingly beautiful. There are huge cliffs, that sometimes bring mountain goats, aroudn the edge, and the quarry is full of huge boulders to see. There are a few boats, and a semi trailor, but they did a good job not turning it into a junk yard. Id recommend it any time though, it really was a great place to visit!

Never have been to DL but went to LJ last weekend - viz was sucky water temp was great though.

I was at Jocassee as well and your right, viz was below normal. I think its because of the low water level.

sandjeep:
I was at Jocassee as well and your right, viz was below normal. I think its because of the low water level.

So the viz is 'normally' better than what it was? Will prob go back there instead of Dive land. We did the Chinese Junk on Sat and then shore dives on Sun assisting w/AOW class.

So the viz is 'normally' better than what it was?

Oh Yes!! Usually, from the line going down to the rock, you just about make out the junk at least the outline. 3 weeks ago it was pretty good, this weekend was the worst I've ever seen it. The lake is down, my guess, at least 15-25 feet. I'm not sure if this has caused the low viz or not. However, once you drop over the ledge by the junk, it's clear from 65 feet down, but there is a nasty thermo there!!

I have always thought Jocassee is post card pretty, course I'm a little bit biased.

Lots of people there this weekend, Hope you got time to visit the flamingos!

There was another thread on here a month or so ago that someone posted that when he tried to give the shop a wetsuit that someone left, the "owner" or "manager" of DiveLand had stated that "they were closing in a few weeks" and that he didn't want to have to deal with "lost and found" issues.

So is Dive and still open? The property/quarr is for sale ($910,000 if you've got that in pocket change).

I emailed them at the email address on their website a few weeks back to see if they were still and the email bounced.

anyone know?

I dove out there on Sunday 8/20 and talked to the owner (John???) and asked him about the stories about shutting down. He basically said they're all b.s. He is trying to sell the place but is staying open on weekends until he does. He did suggest calling before heading out there just in case something has come up that he can't open (which happened the last time I went out there several weeks ago).

Diveland is very much open... Just call John before you head over and make sure he does not another commitment that prevents him from opening that particular day.. He's a busy man with several business committments that might require his attention. I'm the broker handling the sale of the quarry for him - and want to assure everyone that the place is still open - even though it is for sale. I dove it as well personally the other day... Viz was spectacular from the surface to the 125 deep level where we went. Had to be 50-60 feet at least if not more.. My 21w HID made it a pleasant dive.

And if you want to step up to the plate and acquire the ultimate dive toy :)... (your very own 85 Acres complete with one of the clearest and most beautiful Southeast United States quarries) - check out the below links for more info - and let's talk!

JB

http://resolutegroup.idxre.com/idx/cpropertydetail.cfm?cid=7665&bid=0&cpid=412333&ff=1

http://listings.loopnet.com/jblankenship@resolutegroup.com

resolute:
And if you want to step up to the plate and acquire the ultimate dive toy :)... (your very own 85 Acres complete with one of the clearest and most beautiful Southeast United States quarries) - check out the below links for more info - and let's talk!
To paraphrase the words of little kids everywhere (at least when I was growing up), "Will you take a check? :D"

I *do* have to get up to DLP sometime... even if I can't buy it. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom