Dive knives when out with a DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I carry a trilobyte and shears on every dive both of which I can reach with either hand. My main reasons are to free entanglements, or if I see marine wildlife entangled that I could easily snip it with shears. Honestly not sure if I need the trilobyte any more now I have shears.

I have done most of my dives with dive ops in Florida and the Caribbean, and all of those with at least one DM or guide.
I have never carried a knife, and I have never had the need for one in over a hundred dives.
Recently I was on a boat out of Jupiter, FL and I counted at least four divers with knives, one of which was a big honker strapped to the diver's leg that made him look like he was going into combat.
I have no objection to anybody carrying anything that makes them feel more comfortable on a dive (though a teddy bear would get a little soggy). How many of you carry a knife on guided dive trips and why?
I carry a knife on my leg for all dives, and have never done a dive with a DM or guide. I dive rivers, and use the knife almost every dive, either to pry out lead sinkers from the bottom rocks, or to cut fishing line that has entangled me.

Over the years, when I was in the U.S. Air Force as a PJ (Pararescuman), I cut two pilots out of their entangling parachute lines (they were deceased, having been ejected through the canopy of their T-33 during a crash into the Yellow Sea). They were also Korean Air Force, and that was in 1969.

My use of my knife is TNTC (too numerous to count), and I won’t dive without one.

SeaRat

I carry a knife on my leg for all dives, and have never done a dive with a DM or guide.
Same. Always carry a knife on my leg and have shears on my BC strap. I haven’t used mine as often as you, but do use it on occasion.

Most interesting use of a dive knife was minor surgery last year. Though it was post dive. My daughter got a handful of urchin spines while on vacation last year. Our friends were staying a couple doors down. Since she is a Dr., I headed over with a spare dive knife (sharp, pointy tip). Dr. numbed my daughter’s hand with a lidocaine injection, and dug out the spines. Prevented a trip to the ER.

I always have a mini fog cutter knife attached to my BCD. It's shears, knife and tank banger, all in one.

I have always carried a knife on my inner calf, usually a big Dacor or something similar. Recently, I decided to downsize my knife for something more "politically correct" so I shopped around and got a Linsen to replace it with.

The Dacor that it's replacing as my primary dive knife, has a seven inch blade, a line cutter hook, a serrated edge and a big scary sharp point. I ordered the Linsen from a web site and had never handled one before.

The Linsen has no line cutter hook, a very fine almost invisible serrated edge and a curved tip with a flat point for prying, like a pry bar. Safe looking. Non threatening. Politically correct. In the picture anyway! Yeah sure!!!

It arrived today and I unpacked it like a little kid at Christmas. Good grief! This thing has an eight and a half inch blade with full length very noticeable serrations! It's like a sword! It looks scarier to me than my old Dacor pointy knife!

However, the price was very low and the quality of this blade seems to be very high so I'll keep it and use it but I'm not sure if my lower leg is long enough to wear it! Yeah yeah, it's huge but there's no point!

I have always carried a knife on my inner calf, usually a big Dacor or something similar. Recently, I decided to downsize my knife for something more "politically correct" so I shopped around and got a Linsen to replace it with.

The Dacor that it's replacing as my primary dive knife, has a seven inch blade, a line cutter hook, a serrated edge and a big scary sharp point. I ordered the Linsen from a web site and had never handled one before.

The Linsen has no line cutter hook, a very fine almost invisible serrated edge and a curved tip with a flat point for prying, like a pry bar. Safe looking. Non threatening. Politically correct. In the picture anyway! Yeah sure!!!

It arrived today and I unpacked it like a little kid at Christmas. Good grief! This thing has an eight and a half inch blade with full length very noticeable serrations! It's like a sword! It looks scarier to me than my old Dacor pointy knife!

However, the price was very low and the quality of this blade seems to be very high so I'll keep it and use it but I'm not sure if my lower leg is long enough to wear it! Yeah yeah, it's huge but there's no point!
WaterwUlrich, where is the link for the Linsen? Enjoy your BFK. Nothing beats a Wenoka.

WaterwUlrich, where is the link for the Linsen? Enjoy your BFK. Nothing beats a Wenoka.
I got in on Fleabay. It was so inexpensive that I questioned if it was real or a scam but for the price, I chanced it. It was real and did arrive! Search Fleabay for Linsen Dive Knife. There is one available.

Once you get some use with it, perhaps you will write a review and post a few pictures.

Conan laughts at your puny BFKs. This is his dive knife.
1684860620847.png

Back
Top Bottom