Dive knives in Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glcoley

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I carry a blunt tip BC mounted knife and blunt tip shears.
We go to Cabo every year in April.
This year I would like to take my new titanium pointed knife "leg strapped".
Anyone have trouble at the airport security, etc. with dive knives?
I dislike being without something, as I've had to cut my way out of fishing lines more than a few times while diving.

I have a pointed, serated edge, sharp edge knife. I brought it with me on a March trip to Akumal (Cancun Airport) and had no problems.

CubaFan

You can take your speargun too.

I have a 50 caliber mounted on the front of my DPV and haven't had a problem. Just kidding. Some national parks though prohibit use of knives and gloves. Just double check with your dive operator. Like the others said put it in your checked and you should be fine.

I somehow recall reading something about knives and gloves being prohibited in certain places in Mexico, but I could be wrong. I haven't had any problem traveling with a knife in checked luggage, but I now dive with EMT shears and a line cutter.

Best bet would be to contact the dive center you plan to use, and ask them what the rules are where you'll be diving.

I just got back from Cancun and Cozumel on Saturday. I had packed my knife in with the rest of my gear and checked my bag. I didn't have any problems. Just make sure that it is in a checked bag.

How are you, if you check in your knife you will be just fine, now i will advice you to call a local operator and see if it is any kind of restriction to carry one during your dives, some national parks do not allowed yu to carry one, but do not worry about not having it because in this parks is no fishing so you won't be cuting any lines.

Now if you want to have bring something just to make you feel better, bring a pair of EMT shears, that way in the remote case you have to cut a line you'll be ready.

Enjoy your trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom