Dive Knife on a cruise??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aepstein

Registered
Reaction score
I'm packing my dive gear to take on my cruise and realized there may be issues with bringing a dive knife. The knife will be packed with my gear in a locker. Does anyone know if this will be a problem with the cruise line?

aepstein:
I'm packing my dive gear to take on my cruise and realized there may be issues with bringing a dive knife. The knife will be packed with my gear in a locker. Does anyone know if this will be a problem with the cruise line?

I have not had a problem with this. Last cruise I did was in March

cdiver2:
I have not had a problem with this. Last cruise I did was in March

I just got back from a cruise on the Princess line. I placed my pocket folder knife a Benchmark CQC7 in my check in luggage and it was brought on the ship without a problem.

On Hilo, HI I got off the ship with the knife clipped in my pocket. On return to the ship, you have to go through a metal detector and search of any hand luggage. (Note: This happens at each port of call.) This is usually done by private security people from the area. They of course found the knife and measured the blade. They told me that the blade was longer then allowed per their (Princess ) regulations. (Over 3+")

They told me that they would have to confiscate my knife. They said it would be boarded by Princess Security and returned to me on the night before debarkation in LA at the end of the voyage. The knife was returned as they stated.

I would suspect that if you had your dive knife in your check-in luggage it would get on the ship alright, but when you went off the ship to dive and had to go through security they would take it and keep it just like they did mine. :eyebrow:

mine got caught by the screening at the cruise ship - xray. they called me out to the pier to open the bag and confiscated it. I could pick it up when i left the ship every day if i liked, but had to give it back each time i came back... in the end i just left it with security and picked it up when i left.

Honestly....it's doubtful you'll be doing a dive where you'll need it. On our line, Ship's Security generally will confiscate your knife each time you get on the ship and give it back to you as you get off the ship.

I gave that up and just got a pair of snips....since they're blunt as well as not a knife...Security doesn't have a problem with them.

Peace,
Cathie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom