Dive Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35:
Thanks Peter. That's exactly what I'm looking for. The detail pics are a nice touch. I was wondering how the gear fits. For what I'm wanting to do, it looks like it would be perfect. If you get the chance, post some pics of you using the kayak. I'd like to see one actually underway. If not, no big deal, I'll look for some online and checkout that site you linked.

Thanks again!

Sorry no pics of me on the water yet. My friend is supposed to have some, but I have not seen them. I know Hobie has a forum for their kayaks and I would imagine, the other brands do too. I learned quite a bit just by reading the forums. There are a few websites that have some info on kayak diving, but there is not a lot out there.

Full size boats are nice IF you want to deal with flushing the motor when you are done. Have a tow vehicle and can afford the gas/diesel to run it. Don't mind maintainence.

That is where the kayak rules. Yeah I can put it on top or even into my K2500 Suburban. It is much easier though to put it on top of my Prius. I don't bother to rinse it off either. Open the hatches and let it dry. Plus we launch in places you could not launch, with a boat.

Peter_C:
Full size boats are nice IF you want to deal with flushing the motor when you are done. Have a tow vehicle and can afford the gas/diesel to run it. Don't mind maintainence.

That is where the kayak rules.
And you don't have to deal with overcrowded inlets on the weekends. My neighbor has a boat and if we leave at the same time I can be in the water and complete a 1 tank dive before he even arrives at the same spot. He has to cruise about 2 miles north through idle speed zones to get to the inlet, then he has another 3.5 miles south to get the the same dive spot that I go to. I just launch and paddle about 1/2 mile.

I just picked up Junes Issue of Dive Training Magazine and their cover story is on Kayak Diving. You need to check it out. It has some good information. It does not tell about everything concerning Kayak Diving but it still has good information.

bubble-head:
Do any of the tandem kayaks actually have enough room for two divers to do one tank dives each?

The inflatable DiveYak 2 seater does.....had one and it has ample space for gear.

Ocean Kayak makes a few kayaks that will hold a single tank with gear for each diver.

I have 2 Perception Swings that I use for fishing- not a diver yet, so I haven't used them in this capacity. I was told that they were originally designed for scuba divers. The area behind the paddler is made so that one can just lean back and and attach equipment.
They are 13'6" so they track really well and don't work you to death. Secondary stability is really good- the only time I've been tumble out was when surfing.
If you are close to Angleton I would be happy to show them to you.
Here is a link:
http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/swing.htm

Very cool! I'm thinking of getting a tandem. been looking at the Ocean Kayak Zest Two Exp, for my buddy and I to do some shore dives with. I like the idea of being tethered to it if currents are bad, etc. It will also serve as a family recreational activity for my wife and 6 year old.

bubble-head:
Very cool! I'm thinking of getting a tandem. been looking at the Ocean Kayak Zest Two Exp, for my buddy and I to do some shore dives with. I like the idea of being tethered to it if currents are bad, etc. It will also serve as a family recreational activity for my wife and 6 year old.
Yeah, me my wife and 3 girls have gotten a lot of mileage out of them. Fishing, touring, surfing, exercise, etc. I've owned a small outboard before and I much prefer the kayaks- just throw em in the truck, strap them down, and go.
It's funny- they are so stealthy that you sneak up and fish and scare them. I've had them jump right over my bow :)

I am going to try and organize a kayak Dive in the Austin area later this season like the June or July Time Frame. If you would like to be informed of it send me a PM and I will be sure to let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom