Dive Kayaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kunk35

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do any of you have dive kayaks that you frequently dive from? I'm thinking about getting into this as an extension of my diving.

I can't really get to the legendary Lake Murray hidden treasure without some sort of aquatic transportation device.

Kunk35:
Do any of you have dive kayaks that you frequently dive from? I'm thinking about getting into this as an extension of my diving.

I can't really get to the legendary Lake Murray hidden treasure without some sort of aquatic transportation device.

I owned a DiveYak for over a year before selling to a lady in upper Canada. Was alot of fun, but also alot of work...I had a 2 seater with all the goodies. Was just to much effort for me, but heck your a young fellow! I find shore/pontoon/boat diving a better gig all around.

I don't have one but I want one. I figure any sit on top kayak or a canoe would work for me. The canoe would of course make getting in and out of the boat in mid water difficult...

~Jess

How do you get onto a 'sit on top' in mid water?? What I'd like to find is someone out there fairly close by to show me and my dive buddy what they are all about. It looks a bit difficult at best, but I can see the advantages too.

Can't afford the pontoon thing just yet, but that's coming eventually. I would imagine they make fantastic dive platforms.

It's really not worth the hastle, but if you have two people it can be done. Could probably do it with one, but wouldn't be very gracefull :)

Getting out of either midwater is much easier, especially with the sit on top if you don't mind flipping it.

~Jess

Kunk35:
How do you get onto a 'sit on top' in mid water?? What I'd like to find is someone out there fairly close by to show me and my dive buddy what they are all about. It looks a bit difficult at best, but I can see the advantages too.

Can't afford the pontoon thing just yet, but that's coming eventually. I would imagine they make fantastic dive platforms.

You doff and secure your gear to the yak, mine had built in d-rings and built in straps for dive gear....it was inflatable and could be inflated to full with 20cf. Once doffing the gear you would simply pull/roll on the yak. I think the DiveYak is a great product and is avlb. in one and two seater. I just did not find the usage for it I had planned on, though the yak was fun and easy to handle even on trips I would just taker her out for exercise. It packed in a bag with an assoc. bag and could fit in your truck/backseat/car trunk.

Hard shelled kayaks are the way to go. They track and steer better along with not get blown around by the wind as much as an inflatable. Plus if I get hit by a Great White (We don't have Tiger sharks), I don't want my boat going flat. At least here in Cali, those are important factors, as making it back to the starting point is called living for another day. Sit on tops are no big deal to get in or out of. Every piece of gear on the deck gets strapped down, and also has a line with a clip attached to them. If it is not in your hand or on your body, the item is clipped off. One of my ropes I use is about 5 feet long for my BP/W, and gets clipped onto before I take it off. Everything else goes into a hatch, that gets locked. Paddle leashs are a requirement also.

I added foam floatation to my kayak to make sure it is positively bouyant, and keep my gear from going all the way to the front of back inside.

Many people will put their fins on either in the boat or before even climbing onboard. I put mine on right before jumping in the water, but I also have a pedal drive kayak. When you are ready to get out of the water, leave your fins on and power your way, up onto the kayak as you turn sideways to plant your butt in the seat. Then simply bring your feet in.

A good anchor, with a short piece of chain will make sure your kayak is still there when you return. Have at least double what you think you will need for line. So if you are going to anchor in 80' of water have 160' of line out, and having another 40 feet to spare would be a good thing.

Jim, aka Gilligan on this board, has an excellent website with many great tips to follow.
http://kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm

There are many different brands to chose from. Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Necky, Hobie, Cobra, and a few others I missed. Many of them are very stable to the point where you can stand up in them. Those tend to be a little slower though. I bought an in between, which is a Hobie Revolution. With a few mods for diving like hard straps in the back, and a line running around the bow and stern, so I have something to grap onto. The kayak so far is working well. Soon I will get to find out how well the pedal drive slides over kelp this summer, which I doubt you have in Texas to worry about.

FWIW this kayak will fit an HP100 or AL80 in the bow.
back_of_kayak_201.jpg

double_tanks_397.jpg

Thanks Peter. That's exactly what I'm looking for. The detail pics are a nice touch. I was wondering how the gear fits. For what I'm wanting to do, it looks like it would be perfect. If you get the chance, post some pics of you using the kayak. I'd like to see one actually underway. If not, no big deal, I'll look for some online and checkout that site you linked.

Thanks again!

Hello,

I am located in Austin Texas and I started a kayak diving group a little over a year ago. If you want I can send you the group link in a PM. I have a Ocean Kayak Frenzy. It works good but there are others out there. If you are close I can show you how to get in and out of the kayak in deep water. It really is not hard on a sit on top.

Kunk35.... I think they sell inflatable stuff like that at the Adult store right there on I-35 before you cross the Red River going to Lake Murray. OK.
My advice is to buy real boat! no joke. I have a 3 person Sea-Doo and love it. It's too small. At 85 HP it moves out pretty good but when we load it with dive gear there is no room for people. It's too small to dive with really. It usually takes a few trips to transport the gear for a small group even if we load up a float towed behind the craft. A real boat makes diving a blast. Even a little flat bottom with a small 15hp motor is cool. I've borrowed one for dives before and it sure does open up a bunch of places to go dive ! 'No doubt I have a different dive worthy lake boat in my future.

My 2 cents

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom