Dive kayak opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 5-11 and 185, I went to buy a Fish and Dive and the gentleman at the shop had them in stock plus a bunch of others. He had the Fish and Dive ready to go. The moment he saw me he told me it was to big. I asked him if he understood I planned to load it with dive gear and he said yes and that he had been kayak diving since there was a such thing as rotomolded kayaks and even back when they were glass. He was a Cobra and Perception and OK dealer. He said he could cut one in half and put it back--ooookkkk. We went for a spin and he was right, the Fish and Dive was to big and padled like a brick. They did not have the Prowler, they did not exist yet. He told me to get a Scupper. I told him no way that skinny boat will work. One paddle told me I was wrong and he was right.
He further explained that a kayak should be purchased to fit the person and the load range it was expected to carry so that it would sit correctly in the water, not to high (blown by wind --diffucult to paddle and poor tracking) and not to low (plowing and submerging and unstable). Since the man was an expert I took his word at it. I think since he was correct. I have seen tandems solo paddled, they usually dissappear a few mles behind my stern real fast.
The Prowler is nearly two feet shorter than my Scupper yet it still paddles fast and carries a good load. My Scupper can tend to sit bow high unless it is front loaded. I also like that the Prowler 13 is easier for me to lift and rides better in the rack than the longer Scupper. I would hate to have to carry a huge tandem around. I have the Yak rack stand up cradles. I have had a few issues with them. Solo lifting the boats onto the truck is the biggest problem.

Another dissadvantage of tandems and diving from one while tandem is all the coordination needed to get everyhting on. It is just easier for each person to work their own boat from the little I have seen of tandems.

Now, I have seen a model called the Cabo, it is a tandem and yet you may find that it would be suitable for diving. In fact it is shown on the OK site for such. Just looking at the pictures it looks like it might balance and sit just fine loaded for diving. I think it is the tandem Malibu I don't like, that tandem Cabo might work out if you must get a tandem. I like the lines of it and it looks like it will paddle well.

These are not life altering purchases, under a 1,000 bucks. Go get the tandem, if it does not work out get another and sell it or keep it for what it is good for and have two. It is not such a large amount of money that your life will be ruined by a bad decision, just don't make them over and over--lol---I am an expert at that. Now, go have fun with whatever you get.

From Ocean Kayak web site---good info there:

"You can paddle a tandem kayak alone, but it's not easy. Do you plan to paddle solo or tandem? This is one of the most basic questions you'll have to answer. While one person can paddle a tandem alone, it requires sitting in the rear of the kayak while ballasting the front. The kayak will move, but not at its optimal level. On the other hand, it's a lot of fun to go out with a partner, often safer, and usually cheaper than buying two boats. There are a few tandem sit-on-tops that have a jump seat between the front and rear seat wells. This seat arrangement makes it possible to balance weight for better performance when paddling alone, and may be a good option to try if you want to paddle both tandem and solo.

Your body determines how the kayak will perform. You probably wouldn't buy new pants without trying them on first. The same rule applies to kayaks. When you test paddle, you aren't so much looking for mechanical failure as you are trying to get sense of how the kayak fits. It goes beyond just height and weight-people carry weight and proportions in different ways, and these differences translate into how you balance in a kayak. You can always learn how to work with different kinds of kayaks-experts tend to balance better than beginners-but know that it will take time and practice, especially if you decide on a specialized kayak."

Good luck. Bye. N

I use an Ocean Kayak Drifter. I went for stability over speed and love it. I've paddled a couple miles with out any problems, I was alone though so I cannot comment if I was the slow dog. Plenty of room for gear and still much faster then a surface swim.

If it is speed you want nothing can beat the Scupper. Just be prepared to fall off alot more at the beginning.

Okay, here is my two cents worth...

The only kayak that I know of that can hold two tank divers is the Cobra Fish & Dive. Most tandem kayaks would be overloaded and a bit unstable with two tank divers and their gear.

Now if you are snorkeling with your dive buddy you can use most tandems.
I use an Ocean Kayak Malibu Two. It is a tandem kayak and it has varaible seat arrangements for one or two paddlers. It does not have the stability of the Cobra Fish & Dive and it does not have the speed of the Scupper Pro but I can do a 2 tank dive solo with it. Even solo it is very crowded with 2 tanks and I only go on the calmest days. Alternatively, it can carry 2 free divers.

It is a very stable kayak and I find it very easy to paddle solo. It makes a good all purpose kayak.

I used a sit on top double for about half an Ab season. Its murder paddling in the sun with your wetsuit on. I sold it for half of what I paid for it and Im still happy its gone. Also make sure everything is tied on!

I have an OK Drifter, its a barge compared to some of the sleek kayaks out there but it suits me. I've never done a two tank dive from it, retrieving a tank from under the hatch would tax my balancing skills. My paddles are less than a half mile and the stability is good when bringing the tank aboard. I also use it for fishing, sit on tops are great all around boats.

Here's a link to a local club with some more info

http://www.kayuba.org/

I love my ocean kayak drifter

assembled tank, wing and regulator in the back strapped in, everything else under the front hatch. I wear my suit. I drop an anchor with knots every ten feet, have a dive flag floating behind on a 6' rope with a center float. Throw in my bc/tank, hang my legs over each side and scooch up to the front to don my fins, mask and then slip in keeping the boat level. My long hose helps when getting into the bc at the water surface. I can also change tanks while on the boat, I use my 60-72 cuft tanks because I kayak dive lakes.

Back
Top Bottom