Dive Internships??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuickening1101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Researching Instructor Internships in the Caribbean, Asia, and North America. Does anyone have any information and/or recommendations? I would like to find a quality program with the informed and experienced instructors. I want to have fun, enjoy the experience, have plenty of opportunities to dive, but more importantly learn.

Rather than go for a pre-determined package internship which all but guarantees that you'll be another number- I'd recommend contacting an instructor in a location where you want to be in, then seeing what they can do for you. True internships are rare now- working to pay off a cert. Cheap labour and a oversupply of gap-year DMs/Instrs mean it's a seller's market. If you have dived overseas before, go back there and shop around. Talk to shops and instructors and see what they say.

If you are truly wanting to learn- stay away from the Happy Meals equivalent of diving instruction.

Sorry not to be of more direct help and I don't want to dampen your drive. Good luck.

I agree with supergaijin. Internships are not what they were years ago. More then cheap laybour. Also it is really hard to calculate number of day included in training vs work so in the end of you might realise that the days you thought you were working, paying back your course, the operator counted them as part of the training. Find out where in the world you would like to go, research the area for IDC centres and/or Course Directors you trust, pay for the course and start earning money the day after you are a qualified Dive Pro. I don't know exactly how things works in The Caribbean since my experience in the Dive Industry there is limited, I do know some about Asia where I have been running Dive Centres with internship on the program but my best knowledge is how it's being done in the Red Sea with 13 years in the area and I can honestly say that the operators offering Dive Pro courses here (the one I work with does not) are doing a very good job indeed. You get excellent training and good chances for a job afterwords.

...a...

Specifically in Egypt, I worked at Sinai Dive Club and respect most of the instructors there, but I don't know if they are still there. That is the problem with me recommending dive centers- I can only really comment on the ones i have specifically worked in, but as that is often years ago, the dive center might well have changed.

It would help to have your present situation ie. OW or AOW or Rescue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom