Dive Instructor salary 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting back to teaching and not being in the black money wise-- When an instructor assesses this, I don't think certain things should be included. The cost of equipment is one. As a professional clarinetist I must maintain my instrument in good working order. If I were making a living at it I could deduct those costs--as well as buying reeds and other stuff. As a DM I sent receipts to my accountant (not sure if he could use them, but hobby vs. vocation and how much you make is another discussion regarding taxes). As well, it is common (at least here) that instructors use their equipment for personal diving as well, same way I use my clarinet. Gas? I dunno. Depends on how far away you live and if you use your own vehicle (I did and kept track). Instructors drove the shop's truck, full of gas paid for by the owner I would assume. I don't think anyone can deduct gas going to and from work, unless you are self employed. OTOH I wouldn't put perks such as discounts and free air in the plus column--that's just part of the deal when you're hired on.
My calculation of how much I made was based on total pay minus PADI membership and insurance cost.
Oh, another equipment thing is using shop stuff. For assisting I used shop BCs and tanks in the pool, my own BC at the ocean. The rest (wetsuit, shorty, etc. and fins, mask, etc.) I used my own stuff, but that was my choice, as I could have probably completely outfitted myself with shop stuff.

Last edited:
I read a post on FB from PADI about their Elite Instructor status and they had a contest where instructors tried to certify more than the year prior, or something along those lines. One chap was a "300" member.
I don't know what the average per head pay is for everyone but let's say they make $100 per student. Single, living on the coast where it's warm. I could do that on 30k, maybe
A more realistic number may be 100-150 students per year.
Depends on the lifestyle you wish to lead I guess.

Hey Scott I don't no what you are referring to but if the instructor is a contractor then ya, he would get a cut from the OW price and some money could be made that but most shops don't give a cut to the instructor if they are working for the shop itself. Most instructor's that work direct get a salary.

If you haven't got a 2nd income, or aren't able/willing to accept an extremely frugal lifestyle, then a career as a diving instructor is untenable.

Tried googling the average pay for being a Instructor but surprisingly found [B:

That's pretty accurate. As everyone else has confirmed, the "none" you found is pretty close to average pay of an instructor. Some make a decent living... but they're the one-percenters.

Out of all the instructors I know, very few make a decent living. The UK instructors are generally part-timers and have good day jobs. Teaching pays them less than minimum wage, but they do it as a hobby.

The ones in resorts are paid peanuts. There is no shortage of instructors willing to work for very little, so pay is poor. They mostly live like backpackers in shared accommodation, and most tend to have an evening job too to pay the bills.

Some make a good living, but they tend to be the techie types who are really at the top of their game. Where many novices will look for the cheapest course, people looking to do technical training tend to look for the best, so these people can charge a better rate.

Like I said, It's job for the young who want to play around before getting life serious or semi-or full retired.

Some make a good living, but they tend to be the techie types who are really at the top of their game. Where many novices will look for the cheapest course, people looking to do technical training tend to look for the best, so these people can charge a better rate.
Of the few advanced tech instructors I know, one seems to make a good living just instructing. But I have no real idea what his life is like. The others have full time jobs and do this as more of a hobby, though one that pays considerably more than minimum wage. (Some own dive shops, and it's not a hobby for them either) But to reach the point where you are an advanced technical instructor you will spend years, have done something like thousand plus tech/cave dives (and probably dropped $75k plus on gear, gas, classes, travel etc) so it's a pretty serious commitment to get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom