Dive Instructor salary 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a pretty active midwestern recreational instructor, a PADI MSDT, - working on staff at a dive shop. I'll teach everything from Discover Scuba in the pool - to Cavern / Sidemount / Adv. Gas Blender. I do equipment repair / regulator service. And I blend Trimix / Nitrox for technical divers in the area (having my own supply of Helium / O2 / Argon.) Generally, I'll gross about $5K / yr. After deducting expenses (including mileage on the truck) - usually I make a small annual profit of about $500 - $1000.

Diving is expensive - and I like it when the teaching largely pays for it. I also like teaching. And I'm a software architect which provides plenty of primary income. With the business model I employ It would not be possible to make a living at this - here in the Midwest.

Now, the Course Director at my shop is working about 7-10 IDC's a year - contracting with multiple other shops. HE's travelling a lot from St. Louis down to Florida. He's making a modest profit - but it's an investment of time and money to be a course director in the PADI system. And I know other CD's that don't seem to be anywhere near as busy.

Last edited:
Interested in changing my life direction and be a full time instructor. Tried googling the average pay for being a Instructor but surprisingly found none so i'll start the ball rolling to start collective data for everyone.

I'd say that's about right, the average pay for instructors is none! :D

Diving is a hobby, even when it pays a small amount. I suspect the only common exceptions would be owning some sort of a resort or dive op, and maybe owning an inland dive shop that sells gear. But both of those careers are tough, require large amounts of upfront money, and often do not involve lots of actual diving. I think commercial divers/welders can make some money, but it's a lot more like construction work than sport diving.

I'm afraid the big training agencies are a little like a pyramid scheme. (I'm sure that comment will go over well with the instructors on this thread:eek:) The way you make money is by climbing the pyramid, investing more as you go along, and passing that expense on down to the people coming up behind you. This funds the folks at the top.

I'd say that's about right, the average pay for instructors is none! :D

Diving is a hobby, even when it pays a small amount. I suspect the only common exceptions would be owning some sort of a resort or dive op, and maybe owning an inland dive shop that sells gear. But both of those careers are tough, require large amounts of upfront money, and often do not involve lots of actual diving. I think commercial divers/welders can make some money, but it's a lot more like construction work than sport diving.

I'm afraid the big training agencies are a little like a pyramid scheme. (I'm sure that comment will go over well with the instructors on this thread:eek:) The way you make money is by climbing the pyramid, investing more as you go along, and passing that expense on down to the people coming up behind you. This funds the folks at the top.

How to make a little fortune with a scuba shop ..... Start with a large fortune !

i'm making a huge amount of money as a scuba instructor. A comfortable salary, health insurance, company car, 4 weeks paid vacation and the joy of sharing scuba with others.

ok...only one of those things is true.
if I did not have a "big boy" job, I would starve. Teaching scuba gives me great joy and some pocket cash. If you figure out how to make a good living in the dive industry, please let the rest of us know!

I make great money!!

I mean...99.9% of it is from my plumbing business, but I am an instructor and I make great money!!

Best advice you're going to get is this: Dive a lot. Make sure you LOVE to dive. You'll get to dive with good divers and you'll get to dive with terrible...I mean scary terrible divers. Once you know you love to dive, you'll likely have an established relationship with a shop. Start helping with students. Lug tanks, rinse gear, learn how to demonstrate the skills perfectly, listed to the questions students ask, and learn to be patient. Still want to do it? Great! Get your DM, lead some dives, help with more classes, learn to fix gear (especially the minor, on the spot repairs that you'll have to do without a workbench). Still love it? Great!! Get your instructor cert, and teach what you love.

You haven't stated your current certification level or experience. Lots of people with too little experience want to be dive instructors. Please don't be one of them :)

Most instructors I know pay to teach. The exceptions are the shop owners.

Scuba Legends numbers are pretty accurate in my experience, however, these are pre tax numbers and many dive shops want to pay you 'under the table'. Often times there is no health insurance, no benefits, you wont be able to safe for retirement etc. ... I think a lot of full-time dive instructors don't think about their future much... keep that in mind.

Yes, and ironically you have tons of 'pros' defending this... especially here on SB.

How to make a little fortune with a scuba shop ..... Start with a large fortune !
You actually can make pretty good money as an owner... even in the med you can turn over a couple of 100k in 6-8 month while having faily low overhead (depending on location obviously). A boat and rent are typically the largest expenses while staff is super cheap...

As a non teaching status instructor. I can tell you the money is not that great but like Scuba Legend says it is a passion! I believe the best time to teach is either at a younger age (when you're trying to decide what to do with your life) or in semi-retirement or full retirement. If you can hold down a full time job and teach part time that would be ideal, however, if trying to teach full time and have a part time job can be difficult. Working for a dive shop takes up a lot of hours and you never no when the your day will be over. Even though the money was so, so, I enjoyed every minute of it!!!
I'm gonna retire in a few years and I intend to get recertified as an instructor and live and work in some tropical paradise!

Also if you're working for a dive operation you can get a key man deal on whatever the brand of dive equipment you sell! It's only logical to use the equipment the shop sells so suba manufactures will give you a good price on their stuff. You can save money that way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom