dive instructor/dive master wanting to work and own

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I don't want financing, what do I get for $50,000?

It may not be a ton of money but it is money and with oil filling up our state many instructors need work and with many people out of work in general diving is a tuff business and we have to be a bit competitive to build it up.. as it bounces back the prices will go up but it is what it is. Discover diving a local shop has been charging this rate for the last 5 years, where instructors only make $65 each diver and do 10 each a week.. booked solid.. it is a bit of a numbers game. 4 days at 6 hours each with 10 students for $650 beats sitting in a stuffy office anyday!

If your not happy with it than that is fine.. no one is forcing you to do this there is no need for the negative comments.. perhaps Asia is a better place for someone so negative. I would not want you teaching for me anyway. No one high jacked anything.. it is simply a similiar subject. No need to clutter the board. But thanks for re-posting..

This was a hijack of the original thread. Why didn't you start your own? And just how does the instructor make 200 when he has to supply the crewpak, gear, and I'm guessing pool? Do you have a group insurance policy that they can get in on? Who supplies the DM and pays him/her? Why do the links on your site not work or just go to sitebuilder ads or websites? And isn't discovers price 195? So where does the 249 come in. I see this as trying to take advantage of some who may be desperate and using the spill is just plain low. And if there is any clutter here it was in your post that derailed this thread and took attention away from the original post. I'm going to PM the OP and ask him to start another thread since you did hijack his. Your shpiel had nothing to do with trying to find investors for his shop. Again why didn;t you start your own thread to push your game? And instead of referring to Discover as a "local shop" why not just admit that you work for them. That is your homepage link in your profile is it not?

Instructors may need work but they sure don't want to lose money on it. $200 to the instructor huh? An appropriate crewpack itself costs around $77. That leaves $123 for the instructor to cover pool rental, tank fills, fuel, DMs and four ocean dives. Good deal. Is there any left to cover overhead like equipment, insurance, a boat, etc.? After that, is there any left for the instructor's time? It sounds to me like you and PADI are the only people making anything with that deal. I must admiot, however, that your oil spill reference was pretty slick.

Again, my apologies to the OP as well as to the moderator who will have to clean up this thread.

Back
Top Bottom