Dive inside mansfield dam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea thats exactly why I wouldn't want to be any where near the intakes, I've been on the dam at 60 feet when those turbines where wizzing at full speed, I couldn't imagine being INSIDE the cage at 180 feet, I'd have a heart attack.

Hey Debra,
It was not a highlight of my diving career but if someone else learned something then it is worth sharing. Glad it ended in a positive note.

AggieDad,
Thanks…
I figure that someone else is counting up the lives; I just need to listen to my little voice. However, I am thankful…. I was touched that night.

FIXXERVI6,
While a heart attach would have been bad, I was really worried about looking like cat food and having my remains returned in tupperware. Now that’s just wrong.

Dive safe all

My guess is you'd "clog" the grate before you got sucked into the turbines, I'm surpised the beep didn't give you more warning.

The only turbines are on the South end of the Dam.
The other Floodgates are just that.....Floodgates.
They are never operated except for flood control.
I suggest staying away from the Power generation end of the Dam as generation can occur at any time.

Debraw:
Holy Crapiola Andrew, that scared the crap out of me just reading it. :11: :thinkingo :whack:

Ditto Debra !! Damned Guys :11: that was a hell of a story. :xyxnervou I 'gotta say, "that sort of story telling is what our little TSD forum is missing most of the time".

Talkin' about who's gonna bring the chips and dip to CSSP for the Sunday splash some how seems to pale.

We're all action junkies and this thread is action. Most people do get themselves in a bad situation but to live and tell the tale is a gift to Us all. Maybe it will keep somebody from meeting up with "Davy Jones" :death2:

Andrew I did not know of this adventure of your-dang that was something else....I have goose bumps and was not even there!!!!

FIXXERVI6:
I've been told that the inlets of mansfield dam connect (not the true inlets at 180 feet but the grates that start at about 20 or so feet and form rooms), that you can go in the first open grate and dive down and enter the rest of them from the first "cage"
You go right ahead...
Sheeeesh!
Makes my skin crawl all the way over here in Alabama.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom