dive in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squib

Reaction score
I'm going to London in September and was wondering what the diving is like in the UK at that time. Also wondering basic stuff like where and reputable dive operations. I'm staying in London and won't have alot of allocated dive time (at best 2 days).

Good time to go. The water will be at its warmest (60 to 65F). The surface weather might even be fine, too.

Not much diving in London. Probably best to get down to the South coast (1 to 3hrs drive, depending where you go). There is plenty of good wreck diving all along that coast, mostly due to the wars. There is something for all levels.

There aren't many disreputable dive centres over here. Some are better than others but it is usually down to personalities.

within an hour or more of London. There are plenty of shops and clubs in London - here's one for you: Dive Academy they go out most weekends and even do some mid week stuff. They are based in South Croydon.

Jonathan

www.porthkerris.com

We would highly recommend Porthkerris Divers in Cornwall.

They are by far the most professional operators in that part of England. You will need to take your log and a qualification card with you, or they will not let you dive. You can stay in local country pubs at low costs there too.

their address is

Porthkerris, St. Keverne, HELSTON, Cornwall, England, UK. TR12 6QJ
Telephone Outside UK: +44 1326 280620

At that time of year you will see basking Sharks, Blue sharks etc.

their site is http://www.porthkerris.com

If you are looking to do inland diving, we do guided dives around europe's most infamous inland dive site at Stoney Cove in Leicestershire. It is only 40 minutes drive from London.

If you would like more information, feel free to email me or PM me.

But given a choice, I would go to the South Coast

Best of luck

Ian

If you are pushed for time, then Stoney is possibly the best place to go.

There are plenty of web sites commenting on it, so you should get a good idea of what it has to offer.

Failing that there are great dive sites off the south west coast.
Try http://www.diveextreme.co.uk/uksites.asp

:wink:

hey we were at porthkerris for the bank holiday weekend :)
well we wern't actually at the center, just making use of thier nice private beach :wink:

Stoney Cove is not UK diving, it's a 36m quarry/pit with a few perch and roach in it ! It's a very good winter training site or where you go to try new kit etc.... it just doesn't represent UK diving or do it justice at all. You do have limited time, but if you can please try and avoid it get to dive on the coast: you could contact: submerge@fathomandblues.co.uk and ask for Dale the lady who runs the dive centre, it is based in Portland in Dorset. Or another operator in Portland is: www.uk-blue.com this is the Breakwater Divecentre.

Hope you enjoy your diving here. :)
Mrs Hoejay

Yep, the Pike is still there getting quite big :wacko:
Mrs Hoejay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom