Dive Haven

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving conditions were 20' vis 75 degrees at 15' but as soon as you dropped below 15' it went to 3'-5' vis and 53 degrees.
I think it might be a thermocline! Found this post above ours!

I have trouble believing that it was really 69 degrees at 20 feet for your first dive, it is likely that the temperature sensor wasn't given enough exposure at that depth to register the actual temperature. Noting your shallower 2nd dive it shows a seemingly more accurate 57 degrees. Either way that is still cold, about exactly the same as Lanier. I logged 44 degrees at 76 feet in Lanier recently.
The temps in the quarry very drastically depending on location. It actually dropped one degrees per foot until 30' according to the computer on descent and vice versa on ascent!

Dive one between 20-30' the temps is 69-59o range at the beginning of the dives! I was at 30' in 3 minutes! Dive Two, The descent was rather fast with me at 30' in 1 minute! Second Dive, on descend was 69-60o! Then in the middle of the dives 20' is 53-57o(different places in the quarry)!

So the safety stops vary 60-68o from the time you start your stop until time to end the stop. Lag time does seem to occur on ascent, which would let you assume:D it occurs on descent(which seems to be at a similar rate)!

I am thinking the temps very by location and the thermocline plays a big part in the drastic temperature change around 30'! Also the location of the spring could be a factor! Another thing might be shadowing in the quarry, it might keep areas cooler because of less sun exposure. :idk:

I have a Oceanic VEO180NX wrist

I have a Galileo Sol by Uwatec

What was the vis. like this weekend? Is the vis. still bad?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom