Dive Gear Soooo confused

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All gear for the rec diver is created nearly equal. If you take care of your gear it should last many many years. Take the time to vist a wide variety of shops in your area before making any final choice. Be sure to visit shops that carry different brands of gear so you can compare look, feel and fit yourself.

There is such a wide variety of gear out there it will be tough for us to say "you should get gear X, it's the best". While we do know that you'll be diving in the keys in tropic shallow water we don't know what gear fits yout style of diving. Personal preference will drive what gear you end up with. What fits and is comfortable to one diver is different to another.

Like I said, almost all gear is created equal with some minor variances. The shallow warm diving you're doing won't require any top end gear. Once you narrow it down to some pieces of gear you like and want to decide between post them here and we can give you some honest opinions.

There are some really good dive magazines out there that have gear reviews in them. The March 2009 issue of Sport Diver has some great reviews of different ranges of gear. I have a copy and you can probably access it online.

Shop around, get the gear that is most comfortable to you!

To order back issues:

Ordering Back Issues of Sport Diver Magazine - Sportdiver.com

It is only $0.99 for the digital copy:

Single Issues | Zinio Digital Magazines and Books

Last edited by a moderator:
vote 3 for zeagle rock solid great service i'm on my 2nd ranger the first was a ranger and now i'm in a ranger ltd check out the prices @zeagle express.com

Thanks for all the advice. Going to try some dive shops that rent deferent gear and see what sticks.

They are both good brands, but as somebody else said, for simple recreational diving, almost anything that's sold will work reliably (liability considerations pretty much ensure that!) One real consideration is ease of service, if you don't intend to work on your own equipment. Buying brands that have to be driven a long way to a shop, or have to be mailed somewhere for service, can be a PITA (she says, from experience). If you were eventually to decide to service your own gear, ScubaPro parts are difficult to obtain.

We bought Aqualung Titans as our first set of regs, and I'm still happy with that decision. They weren't top of the line, but they breathe extremely well and have been reliable and durable.

For BC's, FAR more important than brand is fit. If the BC won't snug down around you and hold the tank stable, then it's no good, no matter what brand it is.

I am soooo jealous, we live about four hours north of key largo, but we do get there at least two or three times a year. that being said, i just bought a zeagle ranger BC. i have been using a friends and really like it. the big thing is that they are made right here in FL. in Zephyrhills.

Sincerly, Chris

if you don't have it yet get the saddle straps for the ranger..about $20 same for the full lumbar pad.....for about $25-30

Both ScubaPro and Aqualung market fine gear. But the emphasis is on the word "market." Both companies engage in practices that are designed to keep the price of their gear significantly higher than comparable gear from other companies. You can get other brands that perform as well (if not better) for much less money. If I were buying a regulator this afternoon, I think I'd get an OCEANIC EOS, with the MARES Proton 42 giving it a close run.

I am soooo jealous, we live about four hours north of key largo, but we do get there at least two or three times a year. that being said, i just bought a zeagle ranger BC. i have been using a friends and really like it. the big thing is that they are made right here in FL. in Zephyrhills.

Zephyrhills also bottles water here in Florida but I'm not rushing out to buy that either :rofl3:

Doesn't have to be one or the other - you can customize to your liking. For example my regular set-up includes Scuba Pro reg with Oceanic Slimline octo (on necklace), Dive Rite harness, OMS fins, Golem wing and plate, Pinnacle wetsuits, Scuba Pro booties, Zeagle pony reg., Suunto Vytec computer, etc. I know you are new to this - guess what I'm saying is that you don't have to purchase everything from one supplier. Look around.

I am with TSandM on the BC, it can be gold plated and defy gravity on the surface, but if it doesn't have a good, solid fit for you and the tank u/w, it will interfere with your dive safety and enjoyment. If your LDS will let you get wet in gear you plan on buying, that should help you a lot in your decision as far as fit and comfort go. For my local spots, I use an AquaLung Legend LX ACD reg and Balance BC. I will swear by the reg, it breathes like a dream and the adjustment allows me to fine tune it at depth. Last piece of advice- get gear that will allow you to expand and grow as a diver; with more experience, I found that I had use for more features and was happy that I thought about it beforehand. Best of luck and enjoy your diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom